*NO* Star Fox 'Snowstorm'

Liontamer

Remixer name: Minority FX

ForumID: 23526

Game remixed: Starfox.

Name of song: Titania.

Yo,

This is Snowstorm, my remix of the Starfox Titania theme. I've gone for a nice interpretive remix with plenty of emphasis on the aspects of this tune that are absent from the otherwise very similar "Meteor".

Enjoy.

------------------------------------------------------------------

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=sf - "Titania" (sf-11.spc)

The arrangement ideas are definitely strong, even though some of the synth design left something to be desired. On the production side, the textures felt somewhat sparse, though repeated listens lessened that criticism. Still, even when the beefier beats came in at :46, they only filled out the soundfield so much. One other offender was at 2:37, when you briefly but terribly exposed those lonely, dry beats.

Good take on the :38 section of the source with the changeup at 1:12. You had some cool processed "wah" like stuff in the background that fit well there. Another changeup at 1:39 continued to follow the overall structure of the source tune. The writing added on from 1:53-2:18 wasn't particularly melodious and sounded awkward as a result. The concept there was good though, so I'd just rework the melody there for something that flows more and better connects to the next section.

Cool almost underwater-like effects at 2:44 that gradually moved back into a clean soundscape and offered something new in reusing that section of the arrangement. From 3:10 until the end, however, the overall structure ultimately sounded like a retread and made the track feel like it could have been trimmed down a bit. I would say that if you're gonna repeat sections wholesale, see what other tricks you can bring into the picture for the second half to keep the track sounding fresh and evolving the whole way through. Don't overdo it, of course.

This wasn't bad by any means. I'm really feeling the core of the arrangement ideas. Despite following the Star Fox original closely with the way it's laid out, this had its own voice. But the execution wasn't quite there yet. IMO, once the track is filled out a little more and the second half introduces something to keep the arrangement ideas feeling fresh, this'll be ready for primetime and make the most of the concept.

Great first sub, bro. You better resubmit this if you don't make it as is. If you're not already doing so, please use the ReMixing and Works forums to learn more about your setup and solicit fan feedback. Definitely work on this one and send it back.

NO (resubmit)

For the most part, I really dug this. Good atmosphere and build-up, and a cool variation of the Titania melody. The drums coming in at 0:47 were sufficiently kickin' and I think that section in particular was very strong. But there were some ideas that detracted as well. From 3:10 on, I'd like to hear some new element rather than the previous sections minus the lead. Some soloing could really add a lot here, especially as this section doesn't have anything tieing it to the source (I think). The tom drum breakdowns were a little sloppy and jarring and some lighter drums might give you the effect you're looking for. On a minor note but still worth mentioning, the huge volume decrease on the lead at 0:10 and other points is a little much.

The production was pretty good. I liked the levels and the processing effects. The drums were a little muted to me - could come down to the sample or the way it's produced. Not a huge deal but I think this song could use a little sparkle.

I could even see other J's being more lenient, so good luck with their votes. To me, this needs just a little more effort to put it over the top, Minority. Please take another look at it and resubmit!

NO (resubmit)

• 1 month later...

Both Larry and Vinnie have given some excellent advice and made some very valid points. I'll recap a bit as well as throw out a few particular tidbits of my own.

You've got some good energy gonig on. There's some nice arps, and some crazy hyper-resonant electrosynth stuff going on. Drums are ok... not bad, but I do wish you'd done something a little more funky with your snare beyond the beat 2 & 4 thing. Throw in some more samples and processing. Switch it up a bit every now and then. Also, the Portamento synth lead (sounds like the 3osc?) could have used some more expression.

Beyond those particular things, there's not a lot else for me to cover without specifically echoing LT and Palp. This was definitely a great 1st sub. I'd say it was at least pretty close if not on par with my 1st sub back in the day, which was also rejected initially.

In closing, I will quote Larry here:

This wasn't bad by any means. I'm really feeling the core of the arrangement ideas. Despite following the Star Fox original closely with the way it's laid out' date=' this had its own voice. But the execution wasn't quite there yet. IMO, once the track is filled out a little more and the second half introduces something to keep the arrangement ideas feeling fresh, this'll be ready for primetime and make the most of the concept.[/quote']

I think that pretty well sums it up. Good luck and hope to see you back in the future--if not with a polished version of this one, then another remix. Also, don't make my mistake and resub immediately. At the very least give yourself a couple weeks. It'll clear your mind and help you look at your mix more objectiviely.

RESUBMIT