Dark War (Rise Of The Triad Remix)

vr_jadison

Good day,

another remix of mine hit the net, proud to please the very few that will ever get to like it. I contacted 3D Realms to check this track out either. Lets see what THEY will say. (If they'll do at all...)

TRACK SPECS

Name: Dark War (Rise Of The Triad Remix)

Album: The Unrecognized Powers

Remixed Original: Suck This! (MIDI)

Genre: House (At least something electric)

Length: 2:36 (Short is cooler than long if you're not Led Zeppelin, Rare Earth or else...)

DOWNLOAD

192 kbps mp3 @ FileFront: http://files.filefront.com/Dark+War/;10065817;/fileinfo.html

96 kbps mp3 @ Vultracide: http://freenet-homepage.de/vultracide/audio/The_Unrecognized_Powers.html

Yes yes, good 'ol Vultracide... very cool! Find more useful things there if you like. (www.vultracide.de.md) Or hate it. ^^

Yours faithfully,

Paul Roman Ograbisz.

ARRANGEMENT / INTERPRETATION

[X] Too much direct sampling from original game audio

PRODUCTION

[X] Low-quality samples

[X] Mixing is muddy (eg. too many sounds in the same range)

STRUCTURE

[X] Not enough changes in sounds (eg. static texture, not dynamic enough)

[X] Too repetitive

PERSONAL COMMENTS

Unfortunately, I don't remember the music from a game I played such a long time ago, so I'll mainly comment on production:

-Voice samples are kinda cheesy in my opinion. I guess it's a stylistic thing, but I don't really see how they really integrate with the song. This leads me into my next point:

-Arrangement is pretty repetative. It kinda sounds like you're using sound effects/voice samples on top of a section to prop up the arrangement rather than let the instruments provide it.

-Lots of mid-range stuff here it sounds like. The sustained pads coming in and out in the background don't really help this - it sounds like they're more taking up sonic space rather than helping the mix much.

-Drums could use some more volume, also need to be varied up more, but they're not horrible.

-Lead synth could probably be more interesting. Right now it's the same synth playing the melody or main line throughout the whole song. Need to vary things up. Try breakdowns, different sounds, changeups - anything to break up the song into different sections to make it more interesting to listen to.

Sorry for the mostly negative criticism, but I think this needs quite a bit more work as it stand. Looking forward to next version.

Hello Nutritious,

thanks for your reply. I want to answer to it:

- Do you mean importing from the MIDI by saying "direct sampling"? If so, don't worry, the track is made from scratch: I started with a blank arrangement.

- The only samples are the ones extracted directly from the game, in detail that would be all the soldier's and gun's sounds, the player's sounds and some ambience and special sounds. Thats almost nothing and is only ment to be a cool feature for the ROTT fans.

- Repetition is a vital part of that genre. I myself do mostly "house" or even "minimal" tracks, which would result mostly in finding a cool tune that is good enough to be heard all over the song and building a beat- and additional sound-construction around it, so that variety takes place somehow. I am not surprised if anyone who is not seriously into electronical music will not (want) to understand this kind of compositions. (I don't know if that statement applies to you.)

- Yes, you are right: The samples are low quality at source and partially had even been made a bit worse with a so called "bit machine"-plugin, because I have no compressor (or whatever is needed to do that) to eliminate the klicking in the low quality samples; I thaught this the only way to make the best of it.

- The song wouldn't change a bit, if the samples you don't like were missing. So please ignore them: They are just for fun and not a vital part of the track.

- The drums make enough noise on my subwoofer, so I thaught they are just in right state to be heard good and not to be in the foreground too much.