Ibanez and Dimarzio stacked humbuckers

I'm having hella trouble with this. Someone said they put a DiMarzio Chopper in the single coil slot for an Ibanez S470 and needed to do some wood work to fit it; I can't figure out why. The Infinity INFS1 single coil looks like a Strat-style single coil, and so does the Chopper but it's a bit thicker.

I'm looking at an Area 58 stacked humbucker instead, wondering if it'll have the same problem; massive googling doesn't bring up anything and I've called a few guitar stores and techs and nobody knows! Does anyone know much about the form factor of stacked humbuckers versus single coils like the INFS1? Should I go with an ISCV2 instead (used in Steve Vai's signature Ibanez model, so it'll probably fit my Ibanez fine)? This complements two Evolutions (was going to be Evo in the bridge and Steve's Special in the neck, if I change my mind I have two Steve's Specials on hand), I'd rather mix the Area 58 or Chopper into it than go Evo-Evo-Evo.

Why do you want a humbucker-ish sound out of a middle single coil? It's a single coil for a reason. Humbucker-ish sounding single coils are usually for guitars that are equipped ONLY with single coils.

Get a Blue or Red Velvet, Lace Sensor, or something else single coil only. It will open up your sound options tremendously.

Why do you want a humbucker-ish sound out of a middle single coil? It's a single coil for a reason. Humbucker-ish sounding single coils are usually for guitars that are equipped ONLY with single coils.

Get a Blue or Red Velvet, Lace Sensor, or something else single coil only. It will open up your sound options tremendously.

These are all four conductor, I can short the bottom coil out if I want. I plan on replacing the pots with push-pulls (500k) for that reason; I'm even considering having single by default and pull to humbuck for the reasons you stated :)

Tech Talk: One of the obvious effects of mounting a plate on the bottom of a pickup is to boost the magnetic field.

... it focuses it in a smaller area, but okay, same end result.

How about you learn to play it before you actually start modding it. I've been playing for years and I still haven't felt the need to switch out my DiMarzio IBZ pickups. Tone is in the fingers dude. =3

At 50% volume I can massively overdrive my amp on 10 on my Les Paul with one pickup active. Hell, at 30% I have some sweet overdrive.

At 100% volume, my amp is deep into some soft overdrive in any configuration on my S. The output from those Infinity 1/2 humbuckers is nothing. The DiMarzio pickups Ibanez ships on some models are freaking awesome, but the Infinity pickups are trash.

Also I am learning to play... I started following along with the first minute or so of TTFAF and Black Magic Woman recently :3 I still need improvement but this stuff isn't really that hard to play.

How about you learn to play it before you actually start modding it. I've been playing for years and I still haven't felt the need to switch out my DiMarzio IBZ pickups. Tone is in the fingers dude. =3

what kind of a guitar do you got? Ibanez Rsomething?

Yeah, look into single coils. You already have 2 humbuckers and coil-tapped buckers don't sound as sweet as a true single coil.