Home studio monitors

Soon, I'll be in the market to get some studio monitors. My stereo system speakers have done me well for providing musical goodness for over 8 years but I want to step it up a bit now.

I want to buy a pair of active monitors for home use, just for a bit of production of electronic music and such. But to add on top of that, I also want to use them for DJing so I would need something that adds a bit of extra bass and treble to the sound. I will mostly be using them for DJing. The speakers I have now have 5 inch woofers and would probably buy monitors of similar size (6 inch woofer at most).

So far there are two that have interested me the most, the KRK Rokit RP5 and the M-Audio BX5A pair. Which would have better sound response for what I'll be doing? Are there other ones that you would suggest?

DJing as in practicing or actually performing?

Practicing at home, doing studio mixes. The monitors would be the only source of sound. No extra booth or speaker systems.

If I ever get to perform out I'd probably start by renting or borrowing speakers from elsewhere, but that's a different topic altogether.

Good, that answers my question.

Now to answer yours.

I use the Yamaha HS50m series. Love them. But the frequency response drops off at 55hz for me. The two sets that you have chosen are as follows:

KRK - 53hz

M-Audio - 56hz

The problem with these (and mine) is that while they deliver EXCELLENT flat response to everything above their bottom range, they do not give you an accurate picture of the low end. These speakers can't reproduce the meat of the low frequencies. That's why I ended up buying the KRK RP-10S woofer. It compliments the two yamaha speakers brilliantly.

Bottom line, you said you need a good punch in the low end, the speakers you have will NOT give you a good picture of them. A sub would be needed to fill the full picture.

Yeah, they do give a good flat response (not perfect by any stretch of the imagination), they don't give you any bass response. Monitors that cut off at 53hz will literally cut off at 53hz. KRK makes a Rokit subwoofer that handles the rest of the frequencies, which will cost you about $250-300. I strongly suggest you get that along with the rokits, OR, you can just save up a couple hundred more and go with the Mackie HR824 monitors. They're by far the best studio monitors I've ever used (sans $15,000 mastering setups), and at a price of about $400 per speaker, you won't be spending much more than a pair of Rokits with the subwoofer. And they go down to about 30hz, which, while not SUB territory, is still low enough to mix any professional album.

For DJing though.... just go with the Rokits and sub.

LOOOOL. Everyone I've seen talking about the new KRK monitors says the're ugly pieces of crap. I would agree, I prefer the current (old) look.

So looks like no matter which setup I get, I would need a subwoofer? I guess I could save for the Mackie ones if it means not needing a sub. But nah, I will prefer to try the Rokits without sub and see if I'm satisfied with the sound just with that. And if not I will get the sub.

No one has anything to say about the M-Audio set?