Earthbound - Runaway Five

Gauntlet

Hi people. This is one of my early attempts at remixing, and I am new to the community. But everyone seems genuinely nice and helpful around here, so I'm going to put my work out there and seek some criticism.

http://gauntlet.fobby.net/runaway6.mp3

I'm not much of a jazz musician so maybe my solos sound a little forced. Anything you folks have to say about my remix?

Hey there.

As far as an OCRemix, I don't see this being posted, but that being said, it's almost what I'd expect you to hear at a Runaway Five concert if Earthbound had come out today instead of in 1994/1995.

As far as arrangement goes this is pretty straight forward, not much of a difference from the source. Honestly the first minute or so sounds like a midi rip with a little flair. The drums are pretty nice though, the little breakbeat is neat.

If you put this all in by ear that's very cool...

After the first minute, this basically turns into a cover... I'd say as for the soloing after the first minute, it's pretty cool, if a bit robotic... The notes (and instruments) are a bit too precise for a song like this to come across as genuine... (as really it's hard to mimic this kind of music well with sampled instruments anyway)... You REALLY need to work on humanization of your instruments, especially the sax... The problem being though, that in a song like this, a sax may have some squeaks, may have longer pauses for drawn breath, more seemingly random notes... And solos go on forever and ever and ever sometimes, with the rest of the band taking cues eventually, in other words... It's not convincing.

However, I do not have any problems with the solo writing itself, if you got some guy to play this solo with a real sax, it'd be interesting to see how he managed. Do I hear an electric piano in this? If so there could be a cool rhodes solo after the sax, that'd be neat...

More instruments need to solo... I'm used to hearing other instruments getting a chance to solo one after another... Then eventually they all work together at the end. Pretty typical.

Anyway neat, good luck with this, and all your future songs.