Beginner looking to purchase analog synth

I'm thinking about purchasing a synthesizer; I discovered a love for the synth sound and synth programming. I am looking for advice: What sort of devices should a newbie look at purchasing? I know the prices can be all over the place. I don't want something cheap, but I don't want to waste money either. *Maximum* budget $500.

One feature I would like is midi/usb/etc communication with my computer, both for using the keyboard as an interface, and for storing sounds in banks on the computer.

Advice please! :)

The JP is not analog (virtual analog - the difference is that it uses a DSP to generate the sound instead of circuitry and chips), and $500 does not get you a real analog synthesizer with a lot of knobs and sliders which sort of ruins the entire fun of things. However, it's a pretty good suggestion, especially since they seem to be rather dirt-cheap in the US.

Alternatives:

Yamaha AN1x (only a few knobs, but light-weight and nice)

Korg R3 (vocoder madness)

Korg MS2000 / Korg MicroKorg (the MicroKorg is a smaller version lacking some features)

Roland SH-201 (JP8000 knockoff, some say it doesn't sound as good), can act as simple USB audio interface

Novation K-Station or KS-4 if you can find one (the KS-4 is superior). There's the Novation Xiosynth which is an audio interface w/ USB, too.

For $500 you're pretty limited... The MIDI control on everything but the KS4 is lacking for your needs. That or the JP-8000 would probably work best considering you can get both for around $500 (KS4 slightly cheaper if you're careful) and they both have very good midi interfacing.

Your options would really increase if you were open to using rackmount versions of more expensive synths. That way you can get a good midi controller for $200 and a rackmount analog synth for $300, and it's easy to add more synths and expand your repertoire of awesome sounds.

I should probably throw my 2 cents in.

Unless you play live, you're better off getting a software synth and controller keyboard with knobs. As was said, you're not going to get an analogue synth at that price -- you're going to get a software synth with a keyboard attached to it... so why not just cut out the middle man?

Unfortunately, if you're looking for the more unique VA sounds (Virus/Nord/etc) you're gonna need a 4-figure budget or close to it. It's hard to justify using going hardware unless you can get something that really makes it worth it.

cheers.

hmmm, alright thanks this is the kind of feedback I am looking for. Let me ask another question: how does one get into this sort of thing? Putting down a four figure number to start a potential hobby is probably not a good idea, but then again I get the feeling there is just something spectacular about mastering the subtleties of a hardware synth. What about an old moog one?

pirate a couple of VSTS

I'm sorry you're so young and stupid to think encouraging illicit behavior here is a good idea. Perhaps this isn't the right place for you? Find a forum with more adolescents like you to hang out at.

After thinking about it for a while, I definitely want to go the route of decent midi controller + rackmount analog synth. Any gear recommendations for this setup?

You're not going to make out very well with this setup. After you get the controller your remaining budget will limit you to B-level racksynths from yesteryear. You have the same problem as before but proportioned differently.

I'm looking at this mostly in terms of intrinsic value. I'm assuming you just want to make music. If you're more after a hardware learning experience then any of the aforementioned synths will give you that.

cheers.

Let me ask another question: how does one get into this sort of thing?

That depends on the time you got into it.

Putting down a four figure number to start a potential hobby is probably not a good idea

Hey, the first number can be a 1 and the second can be a 2 without trouble, really. It's just that the dollar isn't really strong and the Virus and Nords come from Yurp. It's even cheaper if you get the rack version - who needs the keyboard?

but then again I get the feeling there is just something spectacular about mastering the subtleties of a hardware synth.

There isn't. The fact that you have dedicated control and the sound are the reasons (and there are hardware analog synths that sound like a wet paper bag).

What about an old moog one?

If anything, those are even more ridiculously expensive thanks to the label "Moog" on it.

A computer for just audio including the required hardware is a relatively high (actually ridiculously low) initial investment. Things like controller keyboards are always useful. Downloading free software or cheap software - there are basic versions of Sonar, Cubase, and others and you're really not missing out on a lot features) doesn't bump up the cost a lot.