Final Fantasy 12 'Eruyt Village'

Archaex

So I am completely new to this whole scene, and honestly don't know that much. So far I feel like I'm just changing the sound of melodies and slapping a beat over it, and I'd really like ideas as to what I can do to originate the remixes further.

So what I've done to this is upped the tempo a bit and added(what I think) are some energetic beats. I'm pretty happy with the outcome, except I have no experience whatsoever with beats and feel that they need a lot of work. I took the beats out of nearly the whole last minute because I think it added more focus to the other parts of the song you didn't really notice. Plus like I was saying earlier, my beats aren't that great haha.

This is my third mix I've ever done, first one I ever felt like posting.

http://www.last.fm/music/Archaex/FF12

I'm not overly familiar with the source, so I can't talk about arrangement, but it is a little repetitive. It's got a good foundation, but it needs more spice and more changes. Also, the looping chime instrument's volume needs to come down. I'm not sure if it's the overall volume or each note's velocity, but it's a bit too loud and distracting. The drums also sound a little too "crunchy" to me. Don't know how other people feel about that though. Keep working at it and adding bits here and there to reduce the repetitiveness and you'll do well.

Glad to see someone taking interest in this song, definitely one of my favorites from FFXII. I like where you're going with it, it's a start, very simple at the moment but I think that the beat has a lot of potential, will be very interested to see what else you come up with.

Even after the update, I have to echo all Sengin's criticisms. The repetitive sections are too long, or need to be varied more. My quick listen through source suggests you're essentially just adding beats, changing instrumentation and increasing tempo. You need to do more than that.

AFAIK, you need more original material in this, more interpretation and original additions to the existing stuff. You should also deviate from the source's progression. Put stuff in another order.

There's a recurring high frequency that's really painful and annoying. You should lower it with EQ. Could be resonance, could be frequency interference, whatever. It's annoying.

The stereo placement is ok. How about distance perception? It sounds a bit cramped. Use reverbs, delay the signal (signal delay isn't the same thing as applying a delay (echo) to the signal) to get a little more distance.

You've also got a very busy soundscape. There's one thing to use that in contrast with a calm source, but this doesn't feel that deliberate. The tempo and beat are the likely culprits, tho you should be able to work around it without changing either of them by making the lead woodwinds and the guitar chords more dominating. When both rhythm and melody is this fast, it feels rushed. Bring forth the background stuff, take back the foreground stuff. See how it sounds. This is also a way of varying the sound.

This is a cool source, a cool track, a cool approach, but it's got both technical and creative problems that you need to work on. Good luck with it.

I'm not familiar with the source material, so here we go. I'll be blunt.

The ambient ringing and repetition of the melody wreck this.

The drum work is nice, and the structure has some merit, but I just can't get over how the high notes are stomping over everything. Turn them DOWN. Reduce repetition of the melody, by at least masking it with instrument shifts, if not reducing it's use all together. The effects on the melody produce an ear piercing echo stack that makes me want to turn it off and walk away.

There isn't a lot of change up in this piece. It could use some more creative juices, but the melodic work is nice.

I think this still needs some heavy work, but it's a good start. If you can't hear what I and other people are talking about, I suggest you try a different pair of speakers, or headphones. Some can really toss out certain ranges, and this might be what's happening. Other than that, try to spice it up with some interesting changeovers and I think this can be made into a nice piece.