-Contact Information:

ReMixer Name: Kr!s

E-mail: kris@phiband.net

Userid: 24170

-Submission Information:

Game Arranged: Street Fighter II: The World Warrior

Song Arranged: Guile Stage

-Additional Comments:

This is my first attempt at a remix, and also I used it as an introduction on recording myself on my computer, I think it sounds decent enough.

I wanted to create a version that didn't went too far from the original, what I wanted to do was to capture the essence of what the song caused in me, and then enhance it by giving it a lot of power. Although the whole rythmic section was re-arranged, the lead melody is identical to the original.

Also, I haven't heard a remix of this song with this really heavy-rock characteristic before.

I hope this gets through the mighty judges panel, because I pretend to contribute a lot more in the future.

Regards, from Chile (First chilean submission, maybe?)

-Kr!s

Download link:

---------------------------------------------------------------

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=sf2 - "Guile" (sf2-08.spc)

Mixed a bit muddy, but sounded fairly decent. More distinct separation/EQing of the parts would really help this shine.

More interpretation or personalization with the Guile melody during the verses would have put this over the top. The intro was great on that level, and seemed like it was headed toward an easy YES. But once things picked up at :22, the arrangement was too conservative, in my opinion.

The drum writing also had some awesome fills in there on occasion; they reminded me of Big Giant Circle's ideas on Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix for his version of Guile's theme, very progressive. But during the verses, the drum writing oftentimes sounded too straightforward and plain. Make sure the drum writing stays interesting the whole way through and drives the track forward.

What's in place now is pretty solid, so don't stop working on it. Definitely resubmit this one, Cristián, but add more of your own flavor to the melody to make the track stand out as your own unique creation, refine the mixing of the parts so that your soundscape is a bit cleaner and better defined, and get those drums sounding strong and energetic the whole way through.

NO (resubmit)

• 2 weeks later...

Very cool intro. I'm sort of sucker for delay on guitar, and your intro created a great initial mood. It was disappointing to see the arrangement stick so closely to the original song after that. Some flourishes on the lead or backing guitars like the stuff you had at 0:51, or new chords or harmonies, would put this over our bar. The drums had some cool variation and I think those are alright as they are.

The mixing could have used some work. The overall picture was skewed towards the low-end, and I felt like that lead really needed to cut through the soundscape. Try boosting the highs on it to get a stronger sound. Right now, the elements that are cutting through the most are the hi-hats! :-P It's also muddy and the elements are indistinct. Particularly when you lay on the kick like at 2:44, it's very muddy. Try rolling off some of the low-end from the guitars to get more clarity in the lower regions as a start, then see if other bands need to be cut.

I'd love to see you rework this one because it has potential. The performances are very good and I like the sound. If not, I do hope you contribute more in the future!

NO(resubmit)

Very cool stuff. Love the intro guitars. This mix also has a really great energy to it, and it's very nostalgic indeed. Echoing my colleagues' concerns about the arrangement, it's a great cover song for sure, but it doesn't go much beyond that. I'd recommend taking some liberties and really adding your own expansions on the theme--maybe put a rockin' solo in there somewhere at the very least.

Aside from the arrangement being a little too close-to-center, the production leaves some work to be done. You've got a lot of sound here, and unfortunately that requires rather painful and tedious attention to mixing and mastering it. It sounded like the drums were done really well, but unfortunately you can't properly hear them much of the time when they get pushed back behind the guitars and bass. They snare and toms particularly need to be EQ'd with a bit more high-mid and high end. I'd also recommend a bit of stereo separation on your backing guitars. That might help to sort things out and give each instrument a little more definition.

All in all, this is a great first sub. I really like what you've got so far. It just needs a bit more polish and a little more personal expansion on the original theme. Good stuff - I hope you resub this one!

RESUBMIT