my 1st composition

M.A.N

It's...mediocre. Nothing really too special about it. Drums aren't that great, Piano's kinda soft and rigid (meaning give it some life by messing with the velocity of each note) and the strings are just kind of...there.

It's very empty. Add a simple bassline and give the strings some octave action. The piano is also just kinda hangin' out by itself, so add another instrument to help back up it's melodies...hell, let the new instrument do some of it's own stuff and let the Piano back it up.

It's...mediocre. Nothing really too special about it. Drums aren't that great, Piano's kinda soft and rigid (meaning give it some life by messing with the velocity of each note) and the strings are just kind of...there.

It's very empty. Add a simple bassline and give the strings some octave action. The piano is also just kinda hangin' out by itself, so add another instrument to help back up it's melodies...hell, let the new instrument do some of it's own stuff and let the Piano back it up.

it's my first creation ever. i am new to fl studio.

• 2 weeks later...

You've got a cool chord progression and some decent melodic ideas, you just need to work on the production.

First of all, like Dash said, your piano sounds really rigid and robotic. Try editing the velocities or adding some reverb to make it sound more natural. Also, it sounds like the piano is playing some wrong notes at 0:20, 0:33, 0:48, so you might wanna check that out.

The beat is ok, but it's really repetitive and the samples sound a little cheezy. Try changing up the rhythyms every once and a while, and expirement with different samples and reverb/ equalization on your drums.

The pad in the back is cool, but it kinds just cuts out sometimes so you may want to lengthen it or add some reverb, delay, or something.

I'd say it's pretty good for just starting out. You show a good bit of technical knowledge about music and, to a small degree, FL I wouldn't always expect from a beginner. (Hell, I still do practically nothing but stick instruments and melodies in songs, knowing nothing about how to alter them or EQ.)

I'd say mediocre is actually better than this, and it's really typical, but practice and stylization might lead you to good, unique sounding music.

I'd work on focusing on more of a melody. I have little patience for ambiance, especially because many composers think a sound is enough to move people. I think a melody and/or beat draws people in and ambiance can keep them if it's good. Though, you have a melody, it's just not presented in a way that draws me in, if you get what I'm saying.

But, then again, the worst thing I can do is suggest a beginner morph into my expectations. Remember, these are only opinions.