Sonic & Knuckles 'Neo Flying Battery Zone'

grahf677

Trance strings seem to clash with the feel of the track. Might work if you automate the cutoff and keep it low most of the time. I like the instrumentation otherwise, and mixing is okay. Synth guitar sounds a little too much like a synth imitating a guitar. It's in limbo: not enough synth, not enough guitar. Make it more synthy or more guitar-ish. I've had problems with synth guitars myself tho, so you might want to wait for other ppl's feedback on that and not taking my word for it.

Starting with just beat doesn't sound good imo, at least not when it's looped. Play it once and it's okay, 3 times is just playing time.

Could be longer. The 007-ish chords from source (the source I found anyway) could work well into the track, especially for the current ending - it could be a bridge into a last chorus or a chorus-like take on some other piece of the track. Then you'd solve the length problem I also have - it's short.

Bass seems to meander around a little too much at times. At the third chord, first chord progression it just doesn't sound good, last chords in the second progression sound even worse. I know the first example is in key and fits the chord, but I'm not sure about the second. Consider experimenting with the bass writing at those instances, might turn out better.

Overall quality is pretty good. I've mostly got writing issues with this wip, aside from the way too loud open trance strings, but cutoff automation should fix that nicely. So, great work so far!