Beyerdynamic 770pro - yea or nay?

alright, so I finally bit the bullet and went to guitar center and picked up

some hi-fi headphones - I went with the beyerdynamic 770pro's for $200.

I was just wondering if the collective community thinks that these are decent cans - I've read reviews that swing wildly in both directions.

I would have gone with the 880s, but I have to have the closed-back or I'll anger my roomies. nothing like a little treble untz untz untz at 1AM to make some otherwise happy people awfully mad...

anyway, should I take em back and go for something else? and if so, what?

blah, I wish I could just get some krk rp5s and solve the whole thing... heh

I was actually looking for a midi controller and they just caught my eye... call it a spur of the moment thing.

It didn't dawn on me till after the fact that they could be terrible - so who do I come to...? XD

Anyway, I guess I'll be keeping them as the other pair I was looking at was the Sennheiser hd280s...which zircon's word(and several other sites) do not recommend.

Thanks everybody - one more quick question though, I'm being forced (highly recommended...heh) by a professor to get a 88key keyboard for practicing/general purpose use.

I've been looking at the yamaha p85 for a decent, cheap keyboard (plus I can get it at a discount) - but I just wanted to follow OverCoat's idea and ask you BEFORE the fact: what would you guys recommend?

Keyboards are tough. You just gotta play alot of them, and it also depends on what you need. If your planning on using it for remixing only and a real piano feel is not important, than a midi controller is good. If you are a full pledged pianist and you will be using it outside of the studio, then you want to get something with a full set of 88 keys, with hammer weight action (that actually feels natural), and a built in synth so you can play live. I purchased a M-Audio Prokeys 88. Its not amazing but its fairly decent. The weighting is a bit off and the dynamic range of the keys is not all that amazing. Some of the Yamaha P series are known to be very good for their weighting and sound though, they might be right for you. Check out a P90, those are nice.

It really depends what you want (if you actually want a good digital piano, or just a midi controller) but I can personally recommend the yamaha ypg-625 or the DGX-620.

I've played a lot on one of them, I can't tell which model I've used because as far as I can tell from the site they're identical. They have a good feature set, good sounds and good action, I believe they also have USB midi support and you can pick one up for less than 1000$ if you look around a bit. There's my recommendation.