Zelda 3 & Ocarina of Time 'Dark World/Song of Time'

ShinnyMetal

actually meant to do something else but this came out instead...go figure...well...this is the general idea of when I want to do with this arrangement. Dark World Theme (link to the past) Song of Time (Ocarina of Time)

old:

http://www.tindeck.com/audio/my/cfds/zeldawip

http://www.tindeck.com/audio/my/rqee/zeldawip

update:

http://www.tindeck.com/audio/my/ecpi/zeldawip

:3

I really like the direction you've taken, with the exception of the drum part. They don't seem to fit, and honestly I think they kill the feel you've established up until that point.

Its up to you of course to decide exactly what you're going for, but I think it woudl be great to get rid of that drum part, and where it enters, continue to expand the instrumentation to full orchestra. As it is right now, once those durms come in the melody becomes quite repetitive. You could take the melody in some different directions and without too much trouble reallly build up a sense of grandeur to the whole mix.

lastly an overall comment. You're very much lacking in bass parts. the remix feels very top heavy and somewhat foundation-less. I'd really like to hear a bit more of a lower part. Even something as simple as throwing in a string bass on a low note in the strings chords would make a world of difference.

Again, I really like what you've done with this so far. Can't wait to hear an update.

wow, really nice, I see though why the beat of the drums are a lil off, but with a little tuning it can work. Also loved the merge of the dark/time songs mixing together so well...hmm ever thought of adding in the wind-waker's ocean theme into this..I know its adding somethin else but could work with this too or then again work with another new arrangement lol

I personally really liked the drums, but they need to be tuned a little bit better. ESPECIALLY the kick drum. I thought I had 'bass boost' on in windows media player, but when I checked, it was off. Lower the bass on the kick by a good chunk. The snare could use some reverb. Maybe everything could use a little reverb.

Beautiful mix, though. Can't wait to hear an update!

I agree about the drums. Aside from the bass drum being way too heavy, the snare is awful. Hats don't seem to fit in any more than the other drums. Consider some other type of percussion, such as timpani+orchestral cymbals, or some ethno stuff. The synth bass also doesn't really fit in, imo. Since you're blending genres, not changing genres, you should introduce that stuff way earlier, have it in a different genre (such as world/orchestral), or just not have it.

Doubling the melody makes the two blend together a little too much. Consider playing different... voices, I guess, with them. Counterpoint matching rhythm but not quite melody. Move the melody up two or four notes (note: not seminotes) to separate them. You get free harmonic width. :D

The orchetsral arrangement was pretty, tho you could take some more liberties woith the source. The drums are very distracting, so make them fit in, or drop them. The sound is pretty good imo, tho the J's might disagree. I think you're onto something here. The overall mixing of orchestral stuff is great.

All you need to do is drop/replace the drums, take some more liberties with the source to avoid making it repetitive, and write an ending. Then, it'd me awesome as far as I'm concerned. The J's might disagree, but you'll have written something good regardless of what they think.

I think the genre blending it seems your trying to do could work, but your implementation feels thoughtless. I love the orchestra sound, but the moment the drums come in... It just feels like you could make them work a lot better.

Also, I think the drums are a bit loud. In later parts of the song, it sound like the orchestra is having to fight to be heard.

hmm interesting redux, it does sound alot better yet still sticks to the original prototype which I like (didn't go off in a wierd direction on me lol). I love that you changed the tech beat to an instrumental, best rework done is in that part but I guess its a flute or something...seems the timing for it is a lil off so it doesn't fit too well and the suddent loud piano hits then to soft and back to hard do not fit well at the end, needs to be a lil consistant cause I am hearing loud notes then to soft and back.

Good job here. Nice improvement. I just can't get enough of the choirs.. they are what make this song so soothing. Anyways...

I agree on the sudden piano hits. They are great, but too loud. Also, maybe increase the reverb a bit more for the whole song.

Where the drums used to be, the low string is a good replacement :) But.. it isn't low. The later half of the song is completely missing a bass presence. The song could also use some orchestral, or even latin percussion (or both;)

Other than that, this is a super awesome arrangement. Keep at it, man.:-P

Nice job with the update. I like this much better.

I hear what Rom Tom is saying about the low strings (cello?). I really like what you have the cello doing, but as it climbs to higher pitches you lose your foundation again. Definately leave the part you have now in, but maybe have a string bass playing as well. Give it a technically simpler part (maybe tied whole half and quarter notes), and when the cello climbs, take the bass lower. You may also want to raise the volume on the lower parts some too. The high parts cut through much better so the low parts seem to be on the quiet side. And carry the low parts through the end.

other than that. the violin( i assume thats what it is playing during much of the second half) has some sound quality issues. it sounds very clipped and mechanical. You may want to try to make it sound more human

and lastly, the very last note could be little longer (maybe twice as long). as it is there isnt quite enough time for it to resolve. It feels cut off.

great work on this. I'm looking forward to the next update.

Repetitive. And I wasn't hearing nearly as much source as I was hoping for.

Also, my lazy typing last time made me omit something important:

Doubling the melody makes the two blend together a little too much. Consider playing different... voices, I guess, with them. Counterpoint matching rhythm but not quite melody. Move the melody up two or four notes (note: not seminotes) to separate them. You get free harmonic width. :D

I was talking about the harp or piano and the strings in the intro. The point still stands.

You need percussion, and more source. Aside from the rhythm of the dark world theme, I'm not hearing any source from 1:07 to nearly the end. It's also very repetitive. No matter how pretty, it's not going to OCR like that. Two minutes worth of near sourcelessness... Not good. Repetition for most of that length. Not good. That's the perfect place to change the chord progression, add orchestral/ethno percussion, do all kinds of things, but... you didn't.

The sound is nice, but the writing is boring, for most part. It's pretty, but boring. Fix the latter part, and it'll be on its way to awesome.

there's more that's going to be added and there is also Song of Time you have to take into account...which is in there for uhm...I'd say the last 40-50 seaconds when the progression changes to a m,ore minor feel. I haven't even started on percussion or the electronic portions :D