8-Bit Metal / 1st album RE: Discoveries / free download

08/08/08 marks the release of RE: Discoveries, the first full-length album from the 8-Bit Metal project. One part heavy/power metal and one part chiptune, the 8-Bit Metal sound fuses electric guitars and sounds from the Nintendo Entertainment System to render original music and lyrics centered on classic video games from all eras. This one-man project is manned by an hobbyist musician and distributed freely as downloadable content on the project's website. <http://www.le-ludophile.com/melomania.htm>

RE: Discoveries features the following tracks, written, recorded and individually shared on the internet over the course of three years:

1. The Heroes of Yesterday (intro)

2. In the Year 200X (Mega Man 2)

3. Thirteenth Zodiac (Final Fantasy Tactics)

4. Saving the World Barechested (Contra)

5. The Founding of Booty Bay (World of Warcraft)

6. The Duke Got Nuked (Duke Nukem Forever)

7. Bloodlines (Castlevania: Symphony of the Night)

8. 'Twould Be Best (Castlevania: Symphony of the Night)

9. Moon Sugar (The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind)

10. The Devil and the Incarnate (The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind)

11. Behind the Mask (Final Fantasy IV)

12. Beyond the Mask (Final Fantasy IV)

13. Hatred Eternal (Final Fantasy IV)

Bonus track (feat. Mitchell Emmen): Where All Things End (Doom Castle) (Final Fantasy Mystic Quest)

In addition to the MP3 files, the RAR archive available for download contains a booklet in PDF format and an album cover. A separate Print-It-Yourself version is also available for those who still enjoy their music on CDs. The booklet contains all lyrics and the author's personal comments on the games covered.

-----

Your interest, and all comments, are appreciated! :D

Very cool! Love the Morrowind songs ^___^ Some of the vocals are out of tune at times in the songs, but that's nothing too major.

By the way, I'm against having the vocals vocoded - unless they turn out very high quality like Daft Punks', which I wouldn't expect from most - since most vocoded vocals I've heard are very hard to hear/understand/distinguish/whatever in a song.

Anyways, keep up the good work ^_^

Thank you very much! Also if any lurkers tried to download but didn't see the link, for some reason my host seems to have rolled back one update, so I had to put it back up. Not sure how long the link was out, but it's back in now. So if you went and didn't find it, you can now. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Man those are some super rough vocals. I don't know if the others are being too nice or just don't wanna call it straight up, but the vocals are almost never in key with the music. They really mess this up and prevent the tracks from clicking.

As instrumentals, the concept is pretty damn cool. A couple of things (e.g. trying to create a brass-like sound in "Saving the World Barechested") sounded weird, but the overall execution of the instrumentals was pretty solid. But the vocal execution drags it way down. Not to be mean, but you clearly can't tell how off your vocals sound.

Regardless: http://vgmdb.net/album/10182

• 3 weeks later...
Man those are some super rough vocals. I don't know if the others are being too nice or just don't wanna call it straight up, but the vocals are almost never in key with the music. They really mess this up and prevent the tracks from clicking.

As instrumentals, the concept is pretty damn cool. A couple of things (e.g. trying to create a brass-like sound in "Saving the World Barechested") sounded weird, but the overall execution of the instrumentals was pretty solid. But the vocal execution drags it way down. Not to be mean, but you clearly can't tell how off your vocals sound.

Regardless: http://vgmdb.net/album/10182

Thanks for the honest feedback. I will be working on that for the next step. I received praise on my vocals for a couple of songs, and I'll push toward that. Also, a big thanks for putting up the info about the album on this database. :razz:

..wait, what? Duke Nukem Forever?

It's a comical take on the Duke's despair and alcoholism resulting from his lack of employment because he's been waiting so long for the game to come out. :oops: