Phoenix Wright 'Prelude and Trial'

CC Ricers

No source link, no source comment.

Those rising and falling noises are pretty annoying. Some of the ambience, tho, is pretty cool. The crazy panning on the drumloop makes me wonder what the loop is doing there in the first place. But as you said, those parts are still unfinished.

Once it gets started the track makes a lot more sense, percussion after 1:30 is all fine with me (really liked the 2:13 bit). I'm really enjoying the new instrument after 2:02, but some of the other sounds, especially the falling pitch things... not as good. 2:30 seems to disagree on the key, so you might want to clean that up.

The frequency balance could use some work, there's a lot of competing sounds in the same frequency range, and it's sometimes hard to know what the lead is. Change both EQ and volume.

The bass reminds me of Bomfunk MC's Super Electric.

Enjoyable. This could be good. Much of it already is. Make it better!

I'm going to remove that pitch rising and falling sounds. I didn't like them much either and they just add unwanted clutter. It's just at the point where I don't know how the build up is completely going to sound yet.

As for frequency balance, it's getting there. I tend to mix with an emphasis on mid-treble for the lead. This is supposed to be the high-pitched saw that comes in first at 1:45.

Posting source for reference...

Agreed on the rising/falling sounds. I think they can be taken out with little to no loss. The intro section before it really 'picks up' at 1:30 is definitely too long, too--it'd really improve things if you could eliminate or greatly reduce it.

I definitely like how it starts sounding after the 3:00 mark. KF

Much of the Trial source seems to be backing, but prelude was used pretty good. My occasional source-deafness made the comparison a little difficult, but I eventually did spot the similarities. I do think that you could use more source in it. The first 1:30 is a good palce to put it.

Then again, you might be having this just full of source, and I'm just not hearing it. But I did recognize some in the latter half.

• 2 weeks later...

New version uploaded.

Not many changes to the arrangement, but the first minute is removed to see if it should be better introduced in the breakdown, and the rising/falling whistle thing is gone.

At 1:30 the harmony is put more into the background so it doesn't clash as much with the lead that plays the prelude theme.

That saw instrument you started this version with needs to be a little softer.

Lead is a bit unprocessed, could use some faint reverb/delay, something. Also, your additional (and better processed) melodies that you tossed in before 1:20 are loud enough to distract from the lead. process the lead, send the other melodies to the bg.

I think you should work on separating the tracks and carving space for them using EQ. Make a list of which instruments are important, check what frequency ranges they occupy, and carve a few dB out of the less important instruments.

Well, it's an improvement. Good progress, man.

Please take the time to answer the questions in this post.