Sonic the Hedgehog 3 - Remixed the famous IceCap Zone!

Psy-nigma

Hello,

I currently have finished working on a remix for sonic 3 ice cap zone.

I do believe that with a few tweaks and more feedback I could have this track in quality suitable to join the ocremix family.

here is a link to the track: http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/144389

so help me out in achieving one of my life goals to have a track on this site!

I'm a little pressed for time atm, but from I can hear, the production is ok-ish, the creative parts are nice but haphazardly arranged. Whatever drums you had there didn't contribute much to the rhythm, they were just soundscaping. Not bad, but I'd like to hear this improved.

I'll post more when I have more time to analyse it.

Thanks for listening. yes I notice what your saying about the drums. My goal in this piece is to make the drums not be the main drive to the song. In the middle verses I wanted to make them sound like ice shavings and cracks. Hence the name being "Ice Shattered Flakes. I also have a dub style verse that I could post also to see what you think.

The guitar-like bass give the track arhythm that could use some drums. Removing or rewriting (and relying on the high-range synths for rhythm) would reduce or even rrid you of the need for drums. I like your idea of using the drums for sound effects, and their sound sort'a works as such. There's a lot of weird sound effects in this, such as they bouncy thing around :50. Those _don't_ work.

This is just a suggestion, but how about muting the guitar bass thing, and using a low pad for bass instead?

I think it's interpretive and creative, but mostly the latter. It could use some more interpretation of the progression of the lead melody from source (note: not the melody itself, which I can hear you've altered at times).

The bouncy sound starting at 2:20... no, imo. You should go over the sounds you've used, think about making it sound more cohesive. It'scurrently a mix between cool ones and bouncy or otherwise ill-fitting ones. The high-range xylophone-like thing is good, just to clarify.

Hasn't been an ICZ remix here for almost a month, so it's nice to see the it can still be done in a new way. I'm still waiting for a bluegrass rendition of it. Not making this drum-driven is a great idea with loads of potential. It's definitely worth trying to get on OCR. It's not that good yet, tho.

I'm afraid I can't offer as detailed comments. But as far as the melodic arrangement goes, I think it's a good interpretation of IceCap Zone, and original enough to be considered on OCR--which is a bit tough considering how often this theme is remixed. (That's based on melody alone; quality and a lot of other things would definitely need to be cleared up first, I think.)

Agreed on the 'bouncy' sound coming off weird.

Have you considered trying to work in the "Stage 2" theme? It might give you a little more source material to work with. Though I think I already hear some of the baseline in there. KF

Thanks for listening. Since the last post The bouncy things have been removed I replaced a bassline that wasnt well noticed for another melody. I dropped and edited some other sounds so that they fit togethor better and sound more professional. the next step is to work on verse arrangement and perfecting the drums outside of my breakdown verse so they fit the melody better. the song is shaping up and i will post the edited version tomarrow at the above link.

i haven't thought about stage 2. infact i completly forgot about it. Ill look into seeing how or if that section will fit in. I have already vhanged the melody so much from the original in most of the song. but for purposes of a remix i plan to have original progression of melody in my track at different verses.

• 2 months later...

I have did an overhaul to the track made more remixes to play with sounds and all. then came back to this mix and did a massive remastering.

I have changed a bunch of the sounds decided to keep the drums but make them fit in and sound really good. and then I worked really hard in mastering the fx in the song for all the tracks.

here is the updated link to the mix!

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/186853

O_O The difference is astounding. Good choice on making the synth bass higher and more blendy with everything. Gives it a more ethereal feel.

I normally wouldn't like the reverb you have on the glitched percussion, but I think I like the way it gives an ICY feel to the rest of the track.... hmm...

I don't have any crits, unfortunately (becuase I'm sure someone better will find some) but I was astounded by the difference. :D Good work.

Yeah I really enjoyed making the percussion in this track trying to get that ICE shaving feeling across.

Thanks for taking the time to listen to the before and after. And I am very happy you could hear the ethereal mood I was trying to portray.

I really have to thank Rozovain also for his time to really tell me this track was not ready at all way back in September.

And I do apologize when I said I would have this project remastered and up in September also. but I decided to scrap the original creation and try remaking it a few times first before I Ultimately decided on really overhauling what I have already wrote.

I think now it only needs minor adjustment to sound levels and other minor details on when verses start and end and how they differ.

for those of you who just entered the thread heres the link to my track:

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/186853