*NO* Street Fighter 2 'Maita'i Roa'

zykO

zyko

Street Fighter II

Composers: Alph Lyla, Yoko Shimomura

source: Sagat's Theme (y'all know it right? hehe)

this track is my contribution to the bad dudes' Thai Guy ep. it actually marks the first time i've ever recorded myself on the drums, unquantized and raw. here are the liner notes:

A natural introvert tires with constant travel. Each new place poses new trivialities to get accustomed to and a new apprehension to fight off. He was no different. He learned a long time ago that his haven would be the local dives, a sort of portal into a new world with, you know, a little help. But as always, he enters to be met with darting eyes and fading smiles, his only solace being the bold and brazen bartender who fixes him a drink to soothe his caged anxiety. With each momentous sip comes a perpetual sense of calm, an uneasy lull in the chaos... right before the storm crashes upon the sides of a rocky past, before he has grown accustomed to his surroundings, before he overcomes his anxiety... his nervous introspective prison. With the last sip, the Tiger awakes. He leaves the dive in a fit of ruin and carnage.

As he walks back towards the stunned bartender, he slips him his tip with a smirk he fought all night to muster.

"That drink. It was amazing."

dig it.

I can definitely see this one turning into another debate. zyko, you are the controversiater.

First of all, I think it's a very cool arrangement. Chill jazzy backdrop made of a fine assortment of instruments, great performances, and cool changes to the source melody. I've been a long-time fan of how organic your arrangements sound, and this one is no different. The rub for me is whether it's too liberal.

Honestly, my gut reaction, totally ignoring the stopwatch, was that it was. I didn't hear Sagat in huge chunks of it. The takes on the main melody are pretty obvious ties, but that accounts for about a quarter of the song. The opening synth-guitar riff is a bigger question in my mind, because it sounds to me like a very liberal take on the synth riff from the original. Including that probably pushes this close to a pass, but I felt it was a weak link since the notes were so different. In this case, the original is also only one chord so there's no real connection there either. I'm gonna have to NO. I'm always open to changing my vote if you (or anyone) wants to argue/explain ties that I am missing. Sorry, man.

In case this does pass, I think the drums coming in at 4:08 could be clipping or something. They sound loud and a little lossy. Might want to fix that if you can.

NO

• 1 month later...

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=sf2 - "Sagat Stage" (sf2-21.spc)

The timing was slightly off in some spots. The drums were lonely at :55. The track filled out better at 1:11, moreso at 1:36 with that pad. That pad added a lot; a small detail, but a good touch.

Gotta agree with Vinnie that the interpretation of the Sagat theme was getting too liberal at times, but, without doing a formal breakdown, it was there for much of the track, IMO, relying on the interpretation of the backing pattern to provide much of the connection.

For a 323-second mix, I need 162 seconds of source usage, since the ending cut off. This is going liberal (I'm fine with the connection of the opening synth, for example, due to the rhythms being explicitly interpreted from the original), but I this source usage breakdown is very fair. I can get into the nitty gritty of what came from where if I have to, but I'll just timestamp it:

:00-:17, :21-:24, :27-:38, :46-1:26, 1:28-1:30, 1:34-1:42, 1:45-1:51, 1:53-2:06, 2:10-2:15, 2:18-2:26, 2:28-2:39, 3:56-3:59, 4:45-4:59, 5:02-5:07, 5:10-5:12, 5:13-5:15

That's about 150 seconds, or, in other words, it needs more thai guy theme for me to pass it. The latter half (2:40-4:44) featured some good soloing over some original material, but it was pretty much all unconnected to the source. Sprinkling in some more source usage could hook it up.

WHOA, big volume jump at 4:07. Dayum! The drums were super loud over everything else. You've really gotta pull 'em back. It seems like they're clipping or at least hard limited, but they're loud to the point of being a parody. :lol: If you have the source files, you gotta fix that.

I need more of Sagat's theme as well, but this was another example where touching up the production would hook this up. Doing that and fleshing the piece out a little more in the early going would all help.

NO (resubmit)

• 3 weeks later...

Gah, I think I'm with Vinnie on the gut-reaction to the question of whether or not this was too liberal. I did not break out the stop watch and calculator either. That being said, I don't think I had any real, standing problems with any of the mix beyond the level of interpretation. It's delightfully organic. Weed man, the drums ain't all that bad man, nice work. Dig the guitar work, per usual. Production and execution may not be flawless, but in this context, it gives it a pretty distinct character, and again, only helps out with that authentic, organic, grass-roots-ish vibe.

Man, if you feel like reworking this one enough to make Sagat more dominant, I'd toss an easy yes at ya, bro.

NO (resub)