Final Fantasy 7 'Ambient Shinra'

HoboKa

hey hobo!

I have to make this quick because of schoolwork but the first thing that juts out to me is the decision to put delay on the drums. While it does somewhat add to the whole ambiance thing you're trying to create, It comes off as being a little too sparse and unpredictable. In terms of EQing, I can't provide anything specific for exact frequencies, but it seems like the drums, choir, and piano bass note (which is panned too far right imo) are overlapping too much in the middle frequencies. The compressor on the master track is trying to compensate a bit too much. I'm not familiar with the source unfortunately, but I could totally hear the harmonies you're using with some sort of cathedral organ...very DMC like. lol I'm just thinking out loud now, best stop when I can. Keep at it!

hey hobo!

I have to make this quick because of schoolwork but the first thing that juts out to me is the decision to put delay on the drums. While it does somewhat add to the whole ambiance thing you're trying to create, It comes off as being a little too sparse and unpredictable. In terms of EQing, I can't provide anything specific for exact frequencies, but it seems like the drums, choir, and piano bass note (which is panned too far right imo) are overlapping too much in the middle frequencies. The compressor on the master track is trying to compensate a bit too much. I'm not familiar with the source unfortunately, but I could totally hear the harmonies you're using with some sort of cathedral organ...very DMC like. lol I'm just thinking out loud now, best stop when I can. Keep at it!

Yeah I tried a little too hard on the drums i guess lol. Thanks for the EQ tips, I'll get on those :D

No source link, no source comment.

The delays of the snare at :34 mess up the rhythm for me. Dunno why, if it's just too long.

The melody ends at 1:05 seems like it was cut off, you need some backing, something to carry the track. I'm also ot quite liking the sounds you've used there. The aggressive drums don't really support weak brass/sax, I suggest you find a better sample/synth for the melody.

Takes until 2:17 until the track really gets going, and that doesn't last long. Consider cutting part of the intro, as it seems you've got over a minute of intro, and it takes yet another minute until the track gets going, after which it's almost over. Of course, if that's the dynamics you want for it, job well done.

I like the atmosphere you've got here, but it's cluttered and messy. The melody isn't strong enough to break through the atmosphere. Good luck, man.

No source link, no source comment.

The delays of the snare at :34 mess up the rhythm for me. Dunno why, if it's just too long.

The melody ends at 1:05 seems like it was cut off, you need some backing, something to carry the track. I'm also ot quite liking the sounds you've used there. The aggressive drums don't really support weak brass/sax, I suggest you find a better sample/synth for the melody.

Takes until 2:17 until the track really gets going, and that doesn't last long. Consider cutting part of the intro, as it seems you've got over a minute of intro, and it takes yet another minute until the track gets going, after which it's almost over. Of course, if that's the dynamics you want for it, job well done.

I like the atmosphere you've got here, but it's cluttered and messy. The melody isn't strong enough to break through the atmosphere. Good luck, man.

Yeah I've given up on that one for now, it's too much of a mess. lol