Star Control 2 'Genetic Pranksters'

Baryonic

I've been wanting to remix at least one song from Star Control 2 for quite some time, but at one point I was a bit put off by the fact that the Precursors team had already created fantastic remixes from basically every theme in the game. Anyway, recently I started working on some remixes again and especially the Umgah theme sparked my interest. It's just so energetic and hilarious.

Baryonic - Genetic Pranksters

In this remix I've gone for a rather chaotic and almost bipolar atmosphere, with a trance lead and some 8-bit-style drum samples thrown in. The intro is a small segment from the Mycon theme (to remind of a certain Umgah-Mycon interaction in the game...) and a short piece of the Pkunk theme can be heard at around 0:23 as well.

Possible concerns at the moment:

-Is it too short? The original theme isn't that much to work with, should I add even more elements from other Star Control themes?

-Is it way too chaotic? It's meant to be a rather humorous remix in style of the original theme, but some might consider the song structure a bit incoherent

Well, I recognize the source. Unfortunately, the sound quality isn't much better. It sounds more like a cutnpaste version of the original source and sfx from the game or the source music files. In that sense, it's hard to really get the progression. Might be what you were going for, but it doesn't quite work out. Better samples/processing might improve that, tho, as there were things I liked about how it progresses. Could be good.

Yeah, most of the percussion has had its bitrate crunched quite a bit, perhaps making the overall sound a bit more "retro" than comfortable. And the C64-derived samples weren't exactly too fancy to begin with. I'm going to redo some of the drums and see how they fit in.

I'm glad to see some Star Control action.

I'm not sure if this offers a lot of variety from the original - sound quality and the dry 90's tracker feel certainly make me feel like this doesn't deviate enough. It certainly captures the Umgah spirit, though! Nice Mycon cameo too.

I like the dirty/flanging synth sounds you have in the 6/4 section. The low-quality drum samples might work better alongside some better quality samples, using the bad drums as spice. I in general like the idea and use of sound effects (you do some pretty nice stuff manipulating them), but it doesn't carry the whole piece yet. I'd love to hear you work on this more, as there definitely is potential!

--Eino