PC3200 memory question...

The Coop

So right now, I have two sticks of OCZ 512MB memory, with timings of 2.5-3-3-7, at 2.5V. I would really like to upgrade to 2GB of memory, and I've found a few deals...

G.Skill 2GB dual channel timed at 2.5-3-3-6, using 2.6V-2.75V

G.Skill 2GB dual channel timed at 2-3-2-5, using 2.6V-2.75V

OCZ 2GB dual channel timed at 2-3-2-5, using 2.6V-2.8V

These all range from $46 (OCZ after rebates) to $58 (the faster G.Skill). However, the voltages don't match what my current memory is using. Is this going to be a problem? Is it something that can be adjusted somehow? My motherboard is currently an ASUS P4SD-LA PES revision 0.01.

Thanks for any insights :-)

in general, when you've got ram with two different timings being installed, the board generally reverts to the slower settings. so, likely, if you installed the cheapest ram (never do rebates, not worth the time...particularly with ram and power supplys, i've found), it'd revert to the timing that's the slowest. in other words, your new ram would function at your old ram's timing.

just go with the cheapest ones, any bonus you'd get would be cancelled out by the poor timing on your older ram.

Well, the older RAM wouldn't be there any more, as I only have two slots on my motherboard (my current RAM isn't what came with my mobo). My biggest concern is the voltage differences, and if RAM sticks rated for 2.6V-2.8V would be usable on my mobo. I know 2.5V is, but the only 2.5V 1GB sticks I could find were actually slower than my current 512MB sticks (they were 3-4-4-8).

i think you'd find that timing is incredibly overrated, really. i run 5-5-5-15 ddr2 800mhz ram, and when i spent some money and got 3-4-4-8 ram i barely noticed a difference.

that said, asus doesn't list your board on their site. you might want to confim that board name...what graphics chipset does it use? it's a socket 478, right?