General software question.

So, I've had the desire to remix music and compose music of my own for a long time...but the only thing that's been stopping me is the fact that I do not have access to any kind of MIDI input device (no keyboard, no nothing), and I probably never will. Please don't tell me to go out and buy one, it's not that simple. I was just wondering if there is any software that lets me select instruments, and draw in the notes...like VOCALOID does.

Is there any way around my lack of a keyboard?

plenty is possible without a MIDI keyboard. In fact if I had one I don't think i'd use it (for much). I'm using my onboard soundcard as well. hooray.

if you really want a keyboard though, you -should- buy one. And if you're planning on any kind of live recording, you need a decent soundcard.

obviously things like doing a piano piece with the correct dynamics, pedaling, etc. is really really troublesome to draw in with mouse. use your best judgment

short answer: yes, many (most, all) sequencers/DAWs give you the ability to sequence using a piano roll. Or if you prefer staff notation, there's options there too (though that's kind of a different beast)

look up some software, and try it (free demos = your friend)

So far I'm happy with user-friendly FL Studio. Lots of "tutorial" videos and stuff on YouTube too, very handy. I'm still learning (wouldn't dare submit an OC ReMix yet) but made everything in this without any MIDI controllers or anything (some of the distorted guitars is a not-so-well-recorded real guitar but other than that...) so yeah, mouse-only music weee.

I've barely used a MIDI controller on any of my thus far posted remixes, so you can definitely do a lot without one. I use FL Studio, for reference, and I think it's very user-friendly for someone entering everything by hand.

And I haven't done it, but you can use your computer's keyboard as a MIDI controller in FL Studio. Not sure how useful it is but might be worth trying out!

and I probably never will.

:?

Please don't tell me to go out and buy one, it's not that simple.

It is, unless you are completely flat broke (and you're typing this on a computer, so you're not). If you're neck-deep in debt, you shouldn't have started this topic anyway :<

Get something like this one secondhand or look in your local classifieds..

Fact: things get more fun and easier to understand once you can play chords. Mice can't.

Thirding FL Studio for the piano roll, by the way.

The general consensus on OCR is that FL Studio is the best for piano roll input. I'm inclined to agree with Yoozer though: even if you're not a keyboard player, having *some* kind of MIDI interface is beneficial. If you can't afford that, you'll probably have trouble affording FL Studio too.