Need help buying an acoustic guitar.

Hy Bound

I've been wanting to get into acoustic guitar more than i have been. I own a shitty acoustic that my Dad bought probably about 20 years ago that doesn't stay tuned and is missing one of the plugs to keep the low E string in... So I want to get a new guitar.

Here's the thing: I'm going to have about 200 dollars in guitar center cash after christmas, so I'm only going to be interested in something they have there. Also, considering that my main reason for starting to get into acoustic guitar is so that I can record it, I was considering getting an electric-acoustic. Truthfully, I have no idea about guitars in general but I want one that will sound the best being plugged into a pre-amp and fits into the sub-250 range.

Any help would be great and much appreciated.

EDIT: I'm looking at this... http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Classic-Design-Series-CD100CE-Dreadnought-Cutaway-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-519311-i1397687.gc

Also, do all acoustic-electric guitars require on-board batteries? I've only seen this mentioned in a couple reviews, but that seems like a royal pain.

I'm pretty sure they all need batteries, though there may be an exception somewhere.

My suggestion is to buy a normal acoustic guitar, a mic and mic stand. You can't get decent electronics on an acoustic in that price range, and good pickups cost about $500. It's a sad truth I've come to the hard way. Besides, the acoustics are a big part of the sound for guitars, and using a mic will capture them a lot better than pickups.

You also might be able to just fix up your old guitar. Buying replacement tuners will cost you $20-$50, and a new set of plugs would cost around $15.(they should be replaced every now and again anyway)

Also, for recording, you'll want to get some good strings. personally, for acoustic, I prefer nice warm sounding strings, so you'll want to get thicker ones.

What do you want to do with your acoustic? There are so many options its unreal.

To be honest, if you're recording with an acoustic, it's best to use Microphones, I know very few inexpensive guitars that have anything but S*** for sound through their plug.

My advice is to get a purely acoustic guitar, practice on it (because its a bit diff. than electric as far as approach) and then get a mic w/ mike stand to test that out.

Dreadnaughts are good all arounds, I would suggest a smaller body one for recording though. It tends to sit in the mix better. (though I'm using a $250 Alvarez dreadnaught acoustic right now myself)

I agree with what these guys said. Any given acoustic properly micced and mixed is going to hands down sound better than an acoustic/electric. I prefer the sound of my $50 Rogue dreadnaught micced over the sound of my $500 Ibanez acoustic/electric. A/Es just sound unnatural and... plucky.

Of course you can always buy an acoustic/electric and mic it...

If you were me (OR vice verse) I'd start by finding a decent starter acoustic guitar to learn on first. You can get one from rondo for $40-50 (more if you REALLY feel like splurging) and save your Guitar Center gift cards or whatever for buying recording equipment.

My $0.02 USD.

Thanks everyone for the input! I may just have to suck it up and try to record with mics. I don't have the best recording area, but I guess thats a better alternative. I also have decent recording stuff.

I'm planning on playing folk/alternative-style music on the acoustic.

I was thinking of buying an acoustic or a bass guitar though, truthfully. I have pretty darn decent Bass guitar samples and have no use for my acoustic samples, so i figured a good acoustic would be a better purchase.

Grrr, i don't know what to get at guitar center; I own better versions of the software I can buy there for 200 bucks.