OCR01790 - Valkyrie Profile "Yggdrasil Speaks to Me"

djpretzel

One of these days I'm going to go back and repolish the sound mixing and structures until it sounds as good as it should.

Do I have to resubmit it to the judge's table from there or will they let me switch it out for whats up now?

You could only sumbit it as a new mix and it would have to be different enough from this version to stand alone as a new, unique arrangement in order to pass, e.g. Ziwtra's Terranigma "Blue" vs. "Blue (Shooting Star Mix)". Since that doesn't seem to be the case, you could post it here, but otherwise, we no longer do replacements and haven't done so for a little over 4 years.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I adore Valkyrie Profile. You've taken an already emotive Epic Poem and made it even more gripping. And though you didn't expand on Requiem - the precursor to every moment - its addition was both fitting and loyal. So an upfront thanks: you did more than justice to an excellent game and an excellent soundtrack.

Did more than justice. I just caught that.

Great atmosphere. Superlative pacing. Wished the dynamics were greater, though: I think a more orchestral setting would have really brought to life the epic, haunting feel. That's probably a bit Pavlovian's dog of me though, since the string and percussion work gives this a very orchestral vibe, so I'm expecting the same dynamics but just left drooling. Regardless, it's not like the dynamics weren't there and didn't do their job. The ebb and flow of buildups (and instrumental layering) really sucked me in, and that dropoff into Requiem was magnificent.

I wonder, to those complaining about the shift at 2:50: have you played the game? If not, I highly recommend you fix that. The abrupt change is fitting: the world map music, which was loud, would shift to Requiem after only a brief pause, no transition. So hearing a swift change here, if for different cause, sounds entirely in place. More than that, it moves your soul; there I go drooling again. I do feel, however, that the ending is missing about five seconds - just a little more foreshadowing would have solidified the cliffhanger - but again I'm nitpicking because the lack of resolution was a fitting end (or lack thereof). It's not like there was always a resolution for every tragic circumstance in the game - or for every instance in life - and this is a mysterious piece, after all.

MX: if you create a repolished version, would you please post it? The reviews forum is frequented by some odd creatures such as me. You could also sub it to R:TS.

• 1 month later...

Yeah, this was pretty good, Meteo. I could see what you were saying about it sounding a little filtered and that violin is prety bad. :P It's also ringing my headphones pretty badly but its probably because there shitty anyway.

Not really my kinda thing but I liked it. :) thank you for showing it to me.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01790 - Valkyrie Profile "Yggdrasil Speaks to Me"