buying new computer LOL

scorpion

Hi! I'm trying to get an idea of what computer I should get.

I R using a p2 that struggles to play starcraft so have no idea what Ghz is needed for new FPS games and such. I'd like to play the newer multiplayer games.

Im open to either pentium or amd same with ati and geforce.

pretty much looking for bang for buck on the cheaper side.

not interested in a case that looks like a Terran command center :tomatoface:

I'm checking out tigerdirect.ca (they're local)

they have a lot on their site but cant find a system that seems to have good budget-gaming value..

do you typically need to hand pick the parts and build your own to get this?

thanks in advance

TigerDirect is terribly overpriced, and they will rape you on shipping and handling charges. Avoid them completely.

Your best bet is to find a shop like Memory Express if you're in Western Canada, and try to get one of the guys there to set up a system. I've had lots of good experiences with them (enough to get at least computers over the last few years) and they sell it by the components.

The only problem with that is that you have to put it together yourself, or pay them more to put it together for you. But it's generally cheaper this way. I saved about $500 by getting the same or slightly better parts as opposed to buying a pre-made system that way.

i build computers, but not for canada anymore. the import tax kicks the crap out of anything you save from buying through me.

get a system that's got at leasdt 2.6ghz of either intel or amd. it's gotta be at least a dual core. get at least 2 gigs of memory that's at least ddr2 533. get a graphics card that's an 8600, 8800, 9600, or 9800 (the first denotes the series of the card: 5 is bad, 9 is awesome. the second number denotes the quality of the card: 4 is lowest, 8 or 9 is the best). make sure the letters afterwords include G and T (gt, gtx, gtx+, not gs). if you're going with ati (radeon), get at least a 3850. make sure said graphics card is NOT agp, and that it has at least 512m of ram built in. NO INTEGRATED GRAPHICS. you want at least 250g of hard drive space, less is a ripoff.

that's a budget gaming pc. if you built yourself, i'd give you a list, but you obviously don't.

edit: tigerdirect is horrid for pricing. get a system from newegg, if you must buy premade.