LOTR TTT- Fly You Fools!

This is a sort of never finished because it was a bit too messy and I moved onto other things project. Maybe someday I will actually finish and submit a song, imagine that!

http://negativeworld.org/mymp3s/Fly%20You%20Fools.mp3

I'm not sure if I can get away on the technicality that there are LOTR video games. Does it count if I thought of this site before I started the song? Ah well, I'm not planning on submitting it for review anyway.

What do you guys think?

You're right in that this wouldn't be accepted on OCR because it's originally from a movie soundtrack. There are some big issues with production (and arrangement, but first things first) that you should consider nonetheless.

As soon as your beat comes in, things start clipping horribly. If you're not familiar with that term, it's when the audio exceeds 0.0dB. Any time this occurs, it will cause distortion of the signal. I took a quick screenshot of the waveform in Sound Forge to show you what I mean:

FlyYouFoolsSF.jpg

Notice how it just becomes a block of sound as soon as the drums come in. Technically, that could occur if you compressed a song heavily, but in this case, it's caused by clipping.

First of all, bring down the levels of the various instruments/synths, don't even worry about general "loudness" yet, you can work on that later. Then, balance things out without hitting the 0dB mark. Later, you can add some compression on the master track (as a basic starting point, there's much more that can be said here) to bring the general volume levels up without exceeding 0dB.

Hmm yeah, thanks for the advice. The production side is pretty new to me and that song is well... not produced at all. And pretty rushed. I'm supposed to be meeting with my brother (record producer) sometime next week and I think he is going to show me some stuff because he liked a few of my original works and wants to see if I can get them in better shape on my own.

But yeah, I do tend to run into the volume problem and I was never quite sure how to manage that, so I'll look into your advice and see what my brother says as well.