CT_Schala... again T_T

HoboKa

Not much to say about this since its an intro, though I would say that you should cut out everything after about 0:30 and instead have drums and a nice fat acid-ey bassline drop in. Iono, there's quite a bit of stuff you could do with it from there.

Hmm good idea. How do I make an acid-y bassline though? Cuz I don't have any samples that sound anything close to that :(.

Well, this could go a few different ways. Since there are synths and more real instruments in this, I wouldn't recommend the Orchestral route. Dance/Techno could feasibly work, emphasizing the synth and the cymbal buildup at the end (having it go 'double time' and kicking the listener's ass), but the drums would certainly need to be a tight techno style to work for this.

You could also have this turn into a Piano ballad with other instruments accompanying it. Granted, the cymbal parts would need to go, but it could work well.

Also, I don't know if I'll come across as well as I'd like, but a sort of slow rock guitar ballad could really push this nicely... sadly, I can't really put what I'm thinking into words... Gah! I hate that!

For most any approach, however, I agree with The Vagrance. That gong needs to go, unless you can manage to pull something that we haven't thought of off and make it work, of course. Also, this is unfinished. I'm just giving some direction, like you asked :)

It's up to you to finish it, taking or leaving what we say here! Go, finish it!

If you are having problems with choosing a direction for your mix at this point, I would say, leave it alone and move on - you are obviously lacking inspiration.

Why do you want to remix this track? Do you want to say something that wasn't said with this track in the original? If so, then you should have some kind of an idea how you would want to re-imagine the track. I'm sure you have certain inner feelings and sentiments associated with this theme, explore them, let the inspiration come from the inside. You will feel just so much more motivated and fulfilled when you build the base for the track on your own idea. Technical tweaks, minor improvements, things like that can be recommended by other people, but nothing can substitute for inner (maybe even selfish) inspiration. After all, every form of art is a way to express oneself.

If you are having problems with choosing a direction for your mix at this point, I would say, leave it alone and move on - you are obviously lacking inspiration.

Why do you want to remix this track? Do you want to say something that wasn't said with this track in the original? If so, then you should have some kind of an idea how you would want to re-imagine the track. I'm sure you have certain inner feelings and sentiments associated with this theme, explore them, let the inspiration come from the inside. You will feel just so much more motivated and fulfilled when you build the base for the track on your own idea. Technical tweaks, minor improvements, things like that can be recommended by other people, but nothing can substitute for inner (maybe even selfish) inspiration. After all, every form of art is a way to express oneself.

Amen to that. Couldn't have said that any better myself. However, I have found some inspiration - and Vagrance may be collaborating with me - so, in either case, I've got something cookin' :) though hopefully it'll smell better than the Rock.

I'll post you guys an update purty soon...having some dissonance problems atm and I don't want to make your stereos explode(nor your brains).

http://www.fileupyours.com/view/218181/schala%20remix%205_verA3.mp3

I don't know what you mean by "submit" Snappleman. Here's my update anyways.

There is still some dissonance issues at 1:32 up. I think it's because I used minor chords instead of the original inverted thingies from before. The songs not done yet, so don't comment about the "ending" in terms of "closure". Moreover, this IS still a draft, so there's a good chance that there's some big issues with it, especially EQ wise. ALSO...I wish I had better orchestral samples.

Oh by the way Snapps, the Native Instrument synths that you sent me don't work :( thanks for trying to help me out though.

As far as orchestral samples go, I'm using Cakewalk, and I was amazed how much better bad samples sounded with a few effects on them. Then again, I don't really have the best ear for that sort of thing :oops:

So far, I like this mui much.

The drums seem a bit out of place in the slow intro, I'd use the stick across snare sound and light 16th notes on the hi-hat (do like where the open hat is though), then move up to full on snare at 1:32

Maybe some of that low end piano in the intro as well. I'm not sure *there is no scratching head smiley, so assume I sit here and ponder what that may sound like whilst not being sure*

Kick drum is a touch light for my taste.

You've reached that 'well, what now?' Place where most of my stuff is at. In the words of Dom Famularo 'good artists borrow, great artists steal' See what other people are doing that's similar or that you like and find out how to steal it. If all else fails, put this up on a dusty shelf somewhere and when you do hear that thing, that piece/riff/chord/beat that makes you go 'wow, and I know where that would sound great' you can take this out again and use it. To quote someone 'It's a process. Everything is a process.'

And I don't think I'm ever going to fully understand this software. I'm going by slow 50/50. 50% trial 50% error. Someday I'll be able to do what I want with it. It's a process. :-P

That's all for now

-H

It sounds like you followed up with a piano ballad type song with synth, here, right? It works well here.

The main melody is... not easy to hear most of the time, and when you do hear it, the dynamics vary too much (loud/soft/loud/... I either can't hear it or it is too loud :( ). Try to make the dynamics a little more static than this.

The piano is nice, and I personally think the drums are good, too (although holding back a little bit in the earlier parts isn't a bad idea, either). The mix is muddy, so you'll need to work up the EQing and the volumes a lot to make things clearer.

Sounds good, though. Keep it going!

BTW - Hewhoisiam, your quote from Dom Famularo was originally a quote from Igor Stravinsky... I don't know who Dom is, but I thought I'd let you know where he got it :)