What order should I put my songs in?

Lie Mf B

I'm about to decide the song sequence on the NES remix album I'm making, and it ain't easy...

Tell me how you do the track order on the albums you make (or imagine you'd make).

I suppose my main question is, should I make it as varied (mixed) as possible or should I "group" my songs according to styles?

The album I'm making will most likely be over 60 minutes long, and I'll probably make it a fake "double LP" in true seventies fashion, where the songs are divided into four "sides". This enables me to group them into four parts, but, as mentioned, I'm still not sure about what sequence I want.

Any thoughts are welcome!

Personally, I'd try to mesh the styles so that from one song to the next there is contrast. Putting similar styles together runs the risk of getting the listener bored before finishing the album...

... then again, keeping things continuously different also runs the risk of losing the listener completely after every change (which would be very frequent if set up like I suggested)... It's a call you've got to make for yourself, there :)

Whenever I'm ordering songs, I prefer to have some connection between the end of one song and the beginning of another (theme, instrumentation, style, etc.), though that connection can be continuous. So, for instance, if one song ends with some strings, I'll try to find another one to follow it up that begins similarly.

The benefit to that is, you tend to go back and forth instead of clustering all songs of one style together (since the connection isn't between the entire tracks, but just the first and last several seconds). Although, with any large album--like the one you described sounds--having an overarching 'story' to tell with the songs might be a good way to organize it at the top level (so, to decide what songs start/finish one 'side', and the order of the sides themselves), but the method I described there might be one way to organize it on a song-to-song level.

Is this all from one game, or several different ones? KF