Sonic CD Title theme - "You Can Start The Game"

Mygames19

Hey guys.... It's been a while since i've posted here.

Anyhow, here is my very first publicly announced Remix. It's a remix of the Title Screen from Sonic CD, and the song is titled "You Can Start The Game". I don't expect this to get onto the site, but I wanted to share my intrest in remixing with others, so here I am. this song best fit's under the Techno/House genre.

I have been using the Demo edition of FL Studio to compose the music, so I can't save my work. in other words, FL Studio has been sitting open for the past few days, and if my computer happens to shut down than the last version I kept record of will be the final version. Sorry guys.

Anyhow, enjoy my first Remix! And feel free to let me know what I need to add, or change. Since I'm new to remixing, this would be a good time to learn. :)

P.S. The very end is a little experement that I have yet to clean up.

UPDATE: Sorry guys, my dad shut down the computer this morning. this IS the last version. :C

stats.png

http://ctserver.sitesled.com/Music/Sonic%20CD%20Title%20REMIX%20Day%203.mp3

The original:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEYDiJGLaas

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your reply, I was starting to wonder why I had 200 views and no posts. :P

Anyhow, I'm not entirely sure what a Bass Line is. I am new to this, after all. So I looked it up on wikipedia.... So I'm assuming the Bass Line is a repeated set of notes?

I'm thinking of going back and completely re-doing the song. After all, I don't have much of a choice if I wanna keep this alive. XD

Maybe I should read some sort of remixing tutorial? That would certainly help.

Not gonna listen to source. Lazy.

The lack of a bassline is nothing compared to the problems with clashing notes, exposed instruments, and...um, let's call it "creative drum panning".

Reading some tutorials would be good, yeah. There's some here.

Make sure to listen to a lot of music, and compare your own works to stuff in the same style - try to hear how you can improve your stuff. Also, remixing (for ocremix at least) is a lot like writing original songs, you have to write your own arrangement and adapt the source, not just throw new instruments on it.

Good luck.

Alrighty, reply time. XD

clashing notes

Some of that was actually intentional. Also, the very end of the song was a complete mess that you should completely ignore. XD

exposed instruments
Erm..... I donno what that means. Too loud?
"creative drum panning"
: If your talking about the way I had some of my instrments play on eather side of the speackers, than ya.

But I don't think you where trying to point these out as good qualitys in any way. Great to know I'm getting off on such a bad start. [/sarcasm] :)

Make sure to listen to a lot of music
Most of my day is spent lissoning to remixes on this site... I was just trying to add some creative touches to my own mix.

try to hear how you can improve your stuff
I'm a perfectionist. Your lucky I even came here with this rubbish! XD Theres so many thing's that I know need improvement, but since I don't know a lot about music, it's hard to describe what exactly needs the improvement. I guess the best way to describe it is... Everything. lol
Also, remixing (for ocremix at least) is a lot like writing original songs, you have to write your own arrangement and adapt the source, not just throw new instruments on it
Err....I've heard remixes on this site that are simply changed instaments. (look's at another Sonic CD Remix...) And my song DID have some varity and change in the middle of it. Not a very good one, but still.

But thank's for your reply. I'll be sure to read the tuterals, and than maybe start over. :)

The stuff here that's close to source is old. Wouldn't get past the panel today. Listen to the more recent mixes from the site if you're looking to compare sound quality.

WIth exposed instruments, I mean they don't blend together in a good way. They're not mixed together. Each instrument needs its own place in the mix. EQ, reverb, and volume are the best tools to place instruments with. Background stuff has low volume and more reverb, bass is mostly low frequencies, lead is louder than the rest, drums are fairly loud but not louder than the lead... Stuff like that. These tools should be used so the untrained listener can't tell they're being used.

Kick and snare should never be panned (during normal use, anyway).

Here's some advice I've found is pretty useful: don't start by defending your music from criticism, figure out why the critics say what they say. Understand the criticism. Then you can explain why things are the way they are.

Start it over, or work on it 'til it sounds better, whatever you think will let you improve the most.

Anyhow, I'm not entirely sure what a Bass Line is. I am new to this, after all. So I looked it up on wikipedia.... So I'm assuming the Bass Line is a repeated set of notes?

Basically, a bassline is played by a bass instrument (or synth) in the low register, and it ties the rhythm and the harmonies/melodies together, serving as a base of sorts.

Maybe I should read some sort of remixing tutorial? That would certainly help.

That's a good idea. Also, get software where you can save your work! :)

--Eino