A New Morning (Battle of Olympus)

ekikoo

I started this in November 2008, but somehow lost interest temporarily. I had a topic for the old version somewhere down there, but I felt that maybe I coud start a new one since the old one was pretty much different blah... Recently I dug up this project and tried to finish it somehow, this is how it turned out

http://ekikoo.viive.fi/A%20New%20Morning.mp3

Pros, cons anyone? Thanks!

Source (0:11->):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hW2ubzUf-4c&

Quick comments. Very nice, promising stuff. Quickly comparing to the source, the section that starts 1:23 is mainly original (clearly based on source of course), right? I liked that part, the way you used the source. I also liked the combination of sounds in the intro, although it might be too sparse as it is.

--Eino

I remember this wip. :D

Flute seems to have too much reverb. There's some weird stereo efffect on the hihats, doesn't sound good imo - and they're kind'a hissy. More mid frequencies and reverb on the hats and crashes, and a stronger and less metallic snare would probably be good.

Your filter sweep would work better if you made them longer and has a higher resonance value, it'd emphasize the frequencies near the cut. Around 1:14 it gets weird since the drums just seem to fade into poor EQ, a more pronounced filter sweep there would make it sound more intentional.

The strings are nice. Would be nice to have them close to the center, not panned so far left. Guitar solos are pretty nice sounding. Sound effects tie the piece together nicely.

Can't say whether or not it's interpreted well enough for ocr, I'd be fine with it but it could be a little too close to source. You'd best check with a judge.

Good work.