Castlevania: HoD - Successor of Fate

Nase

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?okyrwnbnmwm

I might extend this some more, but at the moment I feel kinda worn out with it. Some of the chords of the source don't exactly make it easy to add new stuff, and I'm no Shnabubula :P

I'm a bit proud of it though, as I'm still pretty new to writing stuff in that vein.

Oh, and I have no clue if the brushed drums would sound totally weird and unrealistic to a drummer's ear.

So, ready for submission?

It's been a while since I listened to Harmony of Dissonance. Is this Juste's theme? I liked this soundtrack and the game, unlike most people it seems.

Yup, Juste's theme. It's by far the catchiest tune in there, but the other ones work extremely well in game context. Dissonance being the key word there.

Anyway, I quite enjoy this. It sounds a bit barren, though it might be the production more than anything else. Maybe try adding some sustained strings in the background?

I know what you mean, but that turned out not to be an issue to me when I turn it loud. At low/mid volume, I find it lacking fullness too, but at louder levels I enjoy the relative sparseness at some points.

Like the piano at the start. I feel like it might not be able to breathe (hate that expression XD) as well if there was more sustained stuff in the background. Or the brass swells, I think they wouldn't have as much of an impact. But I might be wrong, gotta give it a try.

A little disclaimer; I've never played this version of Castlevania nor listened to this song before. But I do love me some Castvania, and I love the style of music. So, with that in mind...

I like it, it's not blow-me-away spectacular, but it's certainly above average. I don't really hear the emptiness Gecko was talking about. The drums are good, not super or very realistic or anything, but the beats are good. I can't say if this different or an improvement of the original song, but I like this version of it, and I would say it's submission worthy. Unfortunately for you, I'm not a judge, so they may or may not agree with me. =\

I'd say myself it's enough of an evolution from the original. I left the melody almost untouched at times as it fit in well for me, but there are a lot of other variations, some new content, and of course the timing switched to swing. So if I'm not totally out of touch, that part shouldn't be a problem.

Btw, I'd recommend checking out the soundtrack. I think I'll be picking apart more songs in there sooner or later, as there seems to be a wealth of knowledge about weird harmonies and note sequences in there. As I said, this song is one of the most accessible ones, but I still found it pretty educating.