*NO* Final Fantasy 9 'Variations on Steiner's Theme'

djpretzel

I apologize for sending another e-mail, but I forgot to provide the link to the ReMix.

Thank you again.

ReMixer name: Artemis Jaeger

E-mail address: artemis_hunted@hotmail.com

Hey there. This arrangement of Steiner's Theme from Final Fantasy IX is a piece I did a while back for a very small competition on the forums of the website Squaresound (http://www.squaresound.com). There was no prize for the competition, and I achieved third place out of five. I do not know if this will prohibit this ReMix from being accepted, but I thought you should know.

Anyway, thanks for looking over this, and I hope you enjoy.

-Artemis Jaeger

I'm not familiar with the music from this particular Final Fantasy, so I cannot discuss the difference between this and the original. I will say however, that I find this to be a difficult one because there are bits of this that I really like, and bits that I dislike.

Overall, I think the arrangement is good, and suits the piano sound used. So I'll give this a

YES

there are a number of crippling problems with this solo piano mix.

first: the piano sounds incredibly unnatural. the patch is bad. sounds like a not-piano.

second: contributing to the unnatural sound is that there is little, if any, velocity alteration. it all sounds like it's at the same level. occasionally the volume will go up or down as a whole, but there is no dynamic subtlety. it all sounds the same.

Third: also contributing to the forced nature of this mix is the the invasive rhythmical surgery that has obviously been performed on this mix. The quantization sounds unnatural in some places, mainly because not only are the start times all the same, but every note lasts for the same duration. if this mix is live, i'll eat my foot.

NO

this mix sounds incredibly unnatural. not acceptable for a solo piano mix.

• 2 weeks later...

This is like tweak session away from being damn great.

As was said, dynamics are non-existent, but the arrangement itself

is pretty neat. I liked it, it just felt so jumbled when lower chords were

just as loud as melody and all the like.

Somebody hook this guy up with one of the more experienced piano

remixers and lets get this thing presentable.

NO, for now.

We have pretty high standards for piano pieces.

This is excellent as far as arrangement goes, but it fails in that it is way too artificial. After all, it is artificial. Piano songs should be played on a real piano, or at least be made to sound exactly like a real piano being played.

Aside from that, I dont much like the octave chords and dissonance chords.

Big issue is - try to get a live play and resubmit.

NO

I'm in agreement with the majority here.

The arrangement is actually rather nice- and at times it's a tad more daring than the typical piano arrangement that this community receives.

The problem is in the performance. It is possible to sequence emotional piano music, but it takes alot of work and time spent on humanization- and unfortunately that sort of time wasn't spent on this mix. As others have said, there is very little effort put into dynamics or other performance aspects and it really brings the whole work down.

With either a live performance or better sequencing, this could be really good though.

NO