*NO* Golden Sun 'Kolima Club Jazz'

djpretzel

Hello. I am smh. This is my first submission to OCR, though I have released several songs over at VGMix in the past. It is a ReMix of the Kolima Forest theme from Golden Sun.

It is located at

Here is some information that may be useful:

ReMixer Name: smh

ReMix Name: KolimaClubJazz

Game: Golden Sun

Email Address: samuel.huse@verizon.net

I do not have a webpage at the present time.

Thanks,

Samuel Huse aka smh

Right off the bat, the samples are a bit iffy, but I don't think anybody should be penalized for not dropping 50 g's on renting out a concert band.

I do love the switch you made from orchestral to lounge/jazz. It's a good thing your composition skillz are better than your samples <ZING>

I really like it. It's an original idea, a oft neglected genre, and I think it's all executed very well. Hell, the samples used give it a nice old-school feel (and perhaps, this was the creator's intent). My only complaint is the ending, which feels kind of weak. But, on the whole, it's very charming.

Yes

certainly $50,000 for a live band is too much to ask, but maybe a couple hundred for a half-decent sound module, or nothing for free soundfonts, is not.

the samples are hurting this mix in a big way.

other than that, the mix is definately on the short side at less than 2 and a half minutes, so the arrangement doesnt really have time to develop or escalate. and the ending is half-assed.

also, i'm not too impressed by the piano comping. it pretty much just holds down the chord for the duration of that change. it sounds unnatural, and it is. jazz comping is more natural, there are actual "rhythms" played by the "rhythm" instruments. listen to jaroban's "interdit" for an idea of what i mean. or you could just listen to, say...Keith Jarrett or McCoy Tyner.

needs some technical and creative upgrades.

NO