OCR01818 - Final Fantasy VI "This Hazy Place"

djpretzel

This is almost a callback to the OCR of yesteryear; it's contemplative and unstuck from big ideas and concepts. It doesn't need them... It has its source melody and it does what it wants with it when it wants to. And that's very refreshing to these ears.

I have to admit, it took a second listen for the pieces to align and click in for me. The first time through it sounded like someone slowed down and distorted the hell out of a Mario Galaxy track. But for whatever reason, that facade crumbled and I heard what was going on.

Fantastic use of sounds, vocals included. They add such a spacey lift to the dark and fuzzy material. The production, while it doesn't stand up to some of the behemoths of the past few months, doesn't fail to impress.

This is really clever stuff and I'm overjoyed that OCR still finds the time for understated yet excellent submissions such as this.

• 6 months later...

In contrast to a creepy, crickety sewer intro, the mix lifts it face to what must be light at the end of the tunnel at 0:28. The sound at this point emits an aura akin to the glistening speeds in F-Zero, and the drums entering at 0:48 feel kinda Donkey Kong Country 2-ish. Everything after is as darkly sweeping as the Serpent Trench itself. Almost scary.

• 2 weeks later...

I've found myself listening to this one a lot despite the unorthodox nature of the song. It must have taken some vision to pull this off with such refinement and competence, I really like the whispers and low-fi pads. The soundscape is weird, old-school, and very unique - this mix won't be for everyone but I personally enjoyed it a lot!

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...

I've loved this song ever since it was published here, and yet I never said how much I love it. Shame on me.

I think everyone has one of those songs that speaks volumes to them without any words, but I hadn't really found it until this one. The atmosphere is amazing. It's ambience personified. It's... wispy and ethereal, fading in and out, whispering in your ear. Like a slow, stumbling, cloudy journey through the mind. It's like the background music of life.

It makes me a little sad inside thinking about how Brand New Retro never released another track here.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01818 - Final Fantasy VI "This Hazy Place"