*NO* Final Fantasy 10 'Escapism'

djpretzel

Some rather cool Enigma-esque textures here. Weak drums, but I got into portions of it - djp

This is my remix of Final Fantasy 10 along with the submission information:

Title: "Escapism"

Remixer: Syrix

Year [of remix] 2003

[Game] Final Fantasy 10 (Cloister of Trials)

Year [of game] 2001

Composer [of game]: Junya Nakano, Masashi Hamauzu, Nobuo Uematsu

Solid instrumentation and good choir rock interpretation of the original. I would YES this if it weren't for two major issues:

• - The arrangement, as acceptable as its spin on the source is, is limited to simple repetition of patterns. For two minutes the mix loops alternating progression. While the synthbass bridge midway in is decent, it only leads to the first half repeated. A little later the bridge itself repeats and the remix ends on a dull note. Rinse and repeat, ad nauseum. This is not good development and only wears out the positive.
    -The drums. Need work. Listening to hat-hat-kick, hat-hat-hat-kick over and over for the most part just hurts. Incorporating percussive variance to lend some semblance of acoustic authenticity is pretty much necessary here. The ethnic wood hit is a good touch; explore its uses.

This has a lot of heart, but it's not quite done yet. A resubmission with the above noted will most certainly pass.

NO

Yanni's right again. This is a composition of 4 second layer patterns that are progressively used or not used.

This song is dying for a good lead. That would get an instant yes from me. As it stands, its extremely minimal and goes nowhere. Its very much an incomplete song to me. Its the background of a song missing the rest.

Please do something with it and resubmit.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

... man it's weird when you recognize a piano patch... I think for sure I

recognize it from some S3Ms, way back in the day.

I think prot and yanniwhatshisface have summed up most of what can

be said about this one.

I hope to see this one supercharged with some sort of special lead

introduction to fill in what feels like a whole.

Looking forward to a resubmitted version all riceburner tripped out,

NO

I think this mix has a lot of potential. The drums are weak, and I think better drum samples would definitely put this mix up a level. The problem is that the drum beat and samples are rather cliche, in contrast to the other elements of the mix and therefore detracting from it.

This could also do with a strong lead to stand out in front, a melody line to carry the song.

NO

I would definitely like to see this one resubmitted.