Street Fighter Alpha 2 Dhalsim (attempt 2)

lazygecko

stats.png

Yeah, I was already making this some time in 2007, it was about 60% done but the HD with the project file died and only now did I muster the motivation to start working on it again from scratch.

The source is really sparse, I had pretty much one riff and one lead melody to pull from, so I expanded it with a bunch of harmonies of my own. Drums haven't gotten much attention yet, more elaborate fills are needed, more rhythmic SFX which is typical for the genre, some timbres I want to change, and I can probably fit in another short breakdown somewhere if it feels appropriate. Not to mention that it needs a proper ending.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLcTyAMBC7k

This is very cool. You really have some awesome stuff going on. I can't help but get into the intro, I'm not to sure on the transition at 0:39, I think it could be done a little better, or a little smoother, or just differently. I love the synth work in general here, everything moves and it all has a nice flow. I do agree that the drum work could use some changes, it feels a little simple at this point, but its not bad by any stretch.

My favorite part is the break at 1:59. I'm (again) not to keen on the really simple fade transition, but the segment itself is a highlight for me, and the buildup back into it is great. I definitely dig it. I'd like to see a 'louder' bassline the 2nd time around. All around, this is shaping up really well.

One thing I will say though, i'd love to see a more pronounced lead synth, its really ambient and I think a lead might give it some better direction, you really don't hear much until the last part, and even then, it's a unique sound that blends really well. I'd love to hear something stand out a bit more, if you get what im saying.

• 2 weeks later...

I have always liked your stuff gecko, I am enjoying this techno/punjabi club type thing, one thing that has always perplexed me is why hasn't anyone ever thought of just adding some hindi style vocals to a song dedicated to dhalsim? this one could be saucy with a couple samples of some hindi singing, you know, in any case this one is a very nice theme and I feel pumped up by hearing it

Wow. This is <3ly. Reminds me a bit of some Chi-A.D.

Start: Excellent psytrance mood.

Major subjective gripe: The awkward pauses in the theme breaks the flow. For example, at 0:58+ the long rests between the notes become very noticable without anything else to fill the void. These rests aren't as noticable at the start, maybe because of the low volume, or because that's how the melody is first introduced.

Overall: Really cool.

I still hear an original psytrance track when I listen to this. Maybe because that's what I want to hear. Listened again just now--perhaps the break at 1:56 should yield to the next level of melodic riffs.

..and should you give up yogafying it, at least make it into an original psytrance track, inspired by Street Fighter Alpha 2?