Phantasy Star Online - Ragol Weather

zircon

I started this remix last night and did most of it today. I'm now hoping to finish by tonight since I'm feeling pretty inspired. It's a remix of "Image of Hero" from Phantasy Star Online, done in the style of the band Weather Report.

http://www.zirconstudios.com/music/wips/PSOWR.mp3

All the drums are from my upcoming sample library "Groove Bias" which you can read more about here:

http://www.ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=23125

Absolutely fantastic work here. The Weather Report inspiration fits in perfectly. Although with bands like Weather Report, the songs themselves tend to be very scattered. You got the instrumentation correct here, but the style seems too melodic for something modeling after Weather Report.

In any case, though, the style you used fits in great! I can't wait to hear more of this. Oh, and the bass is sexy.

Weather Report, good stuff!

It's a bit too airy at the very beginning for me anyway. But that is very weather report so if that's what you're going for, it works well.

I have certain biases I like in a drum part. I'm not sure how you'd get it in sequenced drums, but the loose open hi hats get lots of different sounds based on velocity and foot pressure. In my playing I like a very open sort of accent swish, but then a tighter sound for any fast work. There are a few places in here where I think that tighter, shorter sound hat would be better. Though I'm not sure which of the like a bajillion drummers you're really looking at when you did it, I'm most familiar with Chester Thompson. :tomatoface:

Can't seem to come up with any nits to pick about stuff like levels and balance, other than the airy bits that I discussed. Maybe it's a bit lacking in the bassy sounds also, oh and I do wanna hear more of that Latin at the end. You know, longer moar etc etc etc.

Keep up the good werk boss,

-H

Really glad to hear some PSO, It brings back memories.

It really helps determining how faithfull a remix can be to the source material.

In this case it seems close to original, yet has subtle variations.

Soundscape is rich & overall the mix sounds clean to me.

I dunno if there is yet any mastering work done here?

And, I luv the drum work on this one. Nice way to demo Groove Bias.

Now I can't wait for both this mix & your kit to come out. ;-)

Thanks for the comments folks :) Regarding the tightness/looseness of the hats, the Groove Bias library actually has both tight and loose patches as well as one that is more of a gradient from lower to higher velocities (tight -> open.) However, for this mix I just preferred the sound of the loose hat the whole way through, even though I could have loaded two sounds and switch 'em up.

MattInc: I agree that it's more melodic than their stuff was, overall. But hey... hard to compete with one of the greatest jazz groups of all time. ;)

I actually finished this mix last night and subbed it, and hopefully you guys will hear the final ver in about a month.