custom computing sale: tax return edition

prophetik music

hey everyone. for those who haven't noticed, i make custom computers for people here on the forums. these aren't usually monster systems, most everything i've done has been for mid-level consumers looking for an upgrade from their current x-year-old castoff system that they use.

in honor of receiving my first official tax return as a married man (can you say $5k?), i'm offering a sale on computers sold between now and the end of may.

normally, when you buy a computer from me, you pay for the parts, obviously. on top of that, you'll pay 10% of the cost of the parts for assembly of the system and handling (dealing with the crappy post office out here), 50$ for installing the operating system and tweaking the system to reduce bloat, and however much it costs to ship (usually around 45$).

for this sale, i'll waive my 50$ OS installation fee, and i'll reduce my normal assembly fee from 10% to 5%.

for example, person a wants a computer that does certain functions. i say that the parts will cost 400$ for that system. the final price of the system is about 530$ (50 for os, 40 for assembly, 40 for shipping). under this sale, that computer will only cost $460 - a saving of 70$, or almost 15%. basically, i'll make 20$ off of this system for the 6-8 hours a system build usually takes, rather than the 90$ i'd normally earn.

please contact me via pm to get in touch with me. i offer full tech support on all issues that arise - you'll have my phone number, so you just call and i'll talk you through any issues that you might have. i can do any variety of computer - a silent pc, one optimized for children to use, one specifically for gaming - whatever you need, i can do.

obviously, if you contact me and express interest, i'm not going to force you to buy anything. feel free to ask about any price range.

have a great day, everyone. enjoy your tax returns.

I wish I could enjoy my tax return. Instead, I owed over SIX HUNDRED DOLLARS. Turns out that some paid research work I did was taxed like a mofo ($600 out of $3300). I was hoping to use my tax return to finally build a computer, but well, that's gotta wait... I've been saving for over a year and only have a case (free), hard drive (christmas gift), psu, and keyboard :/ .

hah, no. too many proprietary bits and pieces. i'll take a laptop you've purchased and upgrade internal components - cpus, gpus (if it's got one already, of course, can't add a discrete card to an integrated laptop graphics system), memory, that kind of stuff. can't build one, though, no. i can make a desktop really portable, but yeah.

i really don't like laptops, though. really, you can get a year or two out of them before they're completely outdated and running slow and full of rot. i'd take an upgradeable desktop over a laptop any day of the week.

really, you can get a year or two out of them before they're completely outdated and running slow and full of rot.

I'm using a laptop that was bought in January of '05. It's a Dell. I'm surprised it still works. I actually had to completely wipe the hard drive using dban though about 2 weeks ago because I had a virus/trojan/thing. Using hijack this! and Combo Fix actually seemed to annoy it and made things worse, so I just decided to nuke it anyway since I hadn't since I got it (and even then I didn't do a fresh install, I just removed the bogus crap that came with it). It reduced startup time from around 7-8 MINUTES to 45ish seconds before I can use firefox.

wow, that stinks. too bad. i was going to offer some spare parts i had lying around, but all i've got currently are a case, psu, and keyboard =) go figure.

Thanks, I appreciate it though =) I have to say though, I got a Saitek Eclipse (blue, of course) from newegg when it was on sale. I really can't wait until I have everything so I can use it.

Haha, yeah, my current laptop was purchased around January '05 as well. The screen is really floppy (barely stays in place) but it gets the job done pretty well.

MIGHT be interested in a new machine... I'm going to be repurposing my current desktop as a music making PC only, and I want another machine of some kind for gaming + internet stuff. However, I'll probably be getting a new laptop in a few months, so I'm not sure if THAT will be my main PC instead.

Sorry, but no totally awesome system in the works for me for at least a few more years. I want some new technologies like HDMI, USB 3.0, Nehalem, etc. to be settled first. I also want to use a projector as my monitor. Because that's just badass.

I would, however, like to hear about how you've pulled your custom stuff together, like the oil-cooled fishtank desktop, and what tangible advantages that affords (what, for example, is your overclocking rate?).

hdmi's settled - the best graphics cable available. usb 3.0 still hasn't even shipped yet. nehelem's settled, too - it's a power-reduced version of the 775 socket, just like they said..

When I say "settled," I don't just mean "available." I mean "standard on all ports" and, more importantly, "cheap."

Assuming I can ever get a job this summer, you'll be hearing from me soon. And I'm serious about the job thing; with this damn economic crunch, the only way I'd be able to afford getting a computer is to get a job. And unfortunately for me, not even my university is hiring for research positions. I'm a senior in college! I've headed a part of a design team! I should be able to get a job of some sort SOMEWHERE!!! :-x

hah, no. too many proprietary bits and pieces. i'll take a laptop you've purchased and upgrade internal components - cpus, gpus (if it's got one already, of course, can't add a discrete card to an integrated laptop graphics system), memory, that kind of stuff. can't build one, though, no. i can make a desktop really portable, but yeah.

i really don't like laptops, though. really, you can get a year or two out of them before they're completely outdated and running slow and full of rot. i'd take an upgradeable desktop over a laptop any day of the week.

I agree with you on laptops. Unfortunately I travel a good deal and having a laptop at work is convenient.

i'd think that a smartphone - like the new blackberry or an iPhone - might be better for portability. at least you aren't spending 800$ on a decent laptop to have it crap out in a few years.

of course, it depends on what you'd need to do.

zircon, i completely missed your post =) if you're interested, give me a call at some point. i think you'd be surprised how cheap it can get.

as for that oil-cooled fishtank, it's just one of those goofy things that's really, REALLY fun to play with. everything runs pretty hot - i think the stable temp is around 70 degrees celsius - but since the entire system is that warm and there's no hotspots there is absolutely no issues. it's been running that hot for over a year. that's with an e8400 (dual-core, 3ghz) oc'd to around 3.8ghz...which, by the way, is ridiculously fast. it takes almost 8 hours to get up to max temp, too, so if you shut it off at night you're fine. i clocked up the ram and graphics card a bit, but not much. all you need is a few fans to push the oil around a bit, although if you're really into it you can get a pump and radiator to cool things off a little. looks pretty cool, too, with some led fans in the system. runs almost silently.