Enough usage of modern sounds/production? - LT

ReMixer name: halc

Email: halcyonmix@gmail.com

UserID: 23301

Game: Kirby Canvas Curse

Individual Song: Frozen Fantasy

Name of Remix: I Want You Inside Me

Comments:

Regarding the title; Kirby eats his enemies.. get it?

------------------------------------------------------------------

Andrew's previous Wind Waker sub employed more modern sounds than this, so I was a lot more comfortable with it. That said, there were some clearly modern sounds used through the course of the piece as leads, although the chiptune elements were a huge part. I'm perfectly cool with this, but my bar on that stuff is lower compared to other judges, so I figured I'd run it by the panel in case anyone had any significant reservations.

Arrangement-wise, Andrew's becoming very consistently creative. Definitely one to watch, and I hope he keeps this great stuff coming. As far as the mix title goes, hardy har har. At least it's not "Put It in Your Mouth".

YES

Regarding modern sounds vs. chip there's a lot of pad textures underneath it, including some quality strings. While much of this sounds like old game soundchips a lot just sounds like synths used in a creative way. I'm cool with this.

Arrangement is creative and enjoyable. I'm a big halc-fan and this doesn't dissapoint. Nice Green Greens in there too! We'll see more of Andrew, no doubt, and I'm looking forward to see how he'll evolve his craft.

In the end I was going to pass this based on the title alone. Turns out the music is pure awesome but I'll see that as an added bonus.

YES

I think it's important to note that the source music to this song is actually Rainbow Resort from Kirby's Adventure. I don't think Kirby's Canvas Curse actually had any original music aside from one or two tracks.

S'ok. In most cases, the source game is whatever the artist got the inspiration from, so Canvas Curse it be. The Canvas Curse version has some sonic improvements over the Kirby's Adventure version and isn't just the 1-for-1 NES track, so that's enough for me to allow Canvas Curse as the source game. Along those lines, something claiming to be inspired by the Super Mario All-Stars version of a song, I'd allow, but the Japanese Super Mario Bros. 2 music, I'd just classify that as SMB1.

One of my favorite songs from Kirby's Adventure. Without even hearing your song, I can already tell it'll be a great match for your style, Andrew.

Heh I was so right. I love your style of mixing chiptune and modern elements with detailed programming; you have a sense of playfulness that gives your songs so much life. It's cool to see some new sounds (for you) show up here, like staccato strings and some unusual percussion. Keep making music!

YES

• 1 month later...

Yeah, this is nice. 8)

It certainly is distinct, with a lot of chippiness, but I think the amount of modern sounds makes it passable, with a deep soundscape, and some nice strings later on. I really like the progression on here, and there are a lot of great details throughout. Excellent textures and a well chosen source.

Nothing holding me back from a

yes