WIP - "Spinning In Orbit" - Mega Man 3 Top Man Stage

Spinning In Orbit:

http://ocrwip.fireslash.net/?fid=168

Original song:

http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/nintendo/nes/index-gr.html

"Top Man's Stage (5)"

Briefly, just looking for feedback on the overall structure at this point. This hasn't reallly been mixed properly in regards to panning and relative volume of certain sections. It probably contains a lot of clipping and muddiness. Having said that I'd love any suggestions on mixing and production. Mainly I'd like to know if this is this worth taking further?

Background:

Discovered OCR about one and a half years ago and was inspired to dabble with remixing a song just for kicks, never really intending to submit it to OCR. I chose Top Man Stage from Mega Man 3, which I always thought was an underrated song. I worked on it for fun for about 8 months and then decided to submit a version of it to OCR. After getting rejected -- the first version was very repetitive and overall much worse -- I took a break from it for a long time.

Somewhere along the line my brother had commented that the intro made him feel like he was floating in space, so I decided to really take that a step further with the feel of the song. I got some input from my wife who is an orchestra director and cooked up some ideas in my head and got more creative with the song progression, the drums, and the sound effects for atmosphere. It could still be pretty amateurish but basically what I want to know is: What's good, what's bad, and is this worth pursuing?

Thanks,

Stephen

Listening on some cruddy headphones so I won't judge your production.

Overall worth pursuing? Yes.

What's good: Good techniques being used. Not overly cliche. Nice catchy tune overall.

What's bad: mid section is kinda underdeveloped (maybe cut it altogether?). The rapid fire kick is a bad sound. The "sound FX" are ruining it for me in general, they draw waaay to much attention to themselves for a mix that doesn't seem intended to be ambient. I think overall the song seems to wander and doesn't really commit to what it wants to do. It's 8 bit remix one minute, then 80's another, then classical, etc. I'd lower the scope of this, try to focus on quality not quantity. Also, the judges are kinda partial to interpretation. A beat and the original melody ripped verbatim doesn't usually cut it. I know you kinda mixed it up a little toward the end, but I'd maybe do more.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

img.php?fid=466

Ok been a while since I last worked on this. This is much more focused than the last version. Really revamped the middle section and streamlined the first and last sections. Added a hi-hat, which was a great suggestion. Cut out some of the odd sections, reducing song length by about 30 seconds. Thanks for all the feedback so far.

~WS

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

well, nothing in this track stands out, but it's certainly not terrible. what's there is balanced fairly well, and there are some cool effects going on at times.

without going into heavy detail, some of my main concerns:

-too much repetition, very little variation

-there's no bass (or low frequencies whatsoever)

-drums could be mixed a little louder (also see: too much repetition)

-instrumentation is bland and unexpressive

-interpretation of source melody is too similar imo

is it worth pursuing? from an ocr standpoint, this has a lonnnng way to go. my honest recommendation would be to start something new, maybe try a couple of different source tunes. trying to force more inspiration into this will probably end up being more trouble than it's worth. try some new things and keep practicing - you will only improve. hope this is of help to you :)