*NO* Sonic the Hedgehog 2 'Indigo Rock Darkness'

djpretzel

Mix name: Indigo Rock Darkness

Game: Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Genesis/MegaDrive)

Mixer: seanstar (new mixer)

Bass & pipe/flute Mystic Cave Zone mix utilizing some reverb and a couple moderately distributed extraneous samples. Builds up slowly, adding new elements as existing ones get too repetitive (and hopefully not after :P).

Looking forward to maybe getting a preliminary sample 'I helped DJP' out of this one... heh.

I don't really enjoy this one at all, and I think some of it is because of the 'sewer-system' reverb that's used on most of it. There're some good compositional ideas here, but I think some attention needs to be paid to touching up the sounds used and how they're used. It seems muddy right now, to say the least. Also, the ending is kind of cheesey, though not necessarily bad. That's more my opinion than an objective view.

NO

D

ok, he's slowed down the original and brings each part in with limited transition. we go through some really empty sections... then we get some more clever combining of the parts 2/3 the way in. i like the delays on the percussion. the reverb is an interesting idea but the effect becomes tiresome very quickly. try getting rid of the reverb after the listener has enough time to 'get it'

more attention to development and mixing needs to be applied here.

no

I do like the simple bend on the last note of the intro progression, but reduced tempo, bathroom-grade reverb, and several extra notes on top of verbatim melody do not make for a rearrangement. Less effects and more composition, please.

Oh, and calling the ending 'cheesy' may be personal taste, but describing it as 'abrupt and incongruous' is totally objective (and earns you SAT points).

NO

Reverb isn't good, but it's not too bad. It's certainly not an Eventide though. This mix is drenched in such a wet reverb, making it sound very muddy. There are some nice concepts here, however for me the main problem is this mix is very sparse most of the time. If you're going for an atmospheric mix there needs to be more layers and attention paid to subtlety. The ending is cheesy but also fun. This isn't a bad mix, it's just very repetitive, underdeveloped and needs some fine tuning in the concept and execution area.

NO