QLSO Question

Ok, so there are dynamic crossfade patches (DXF), and there's midi cc 11 (expression).

Not all of the patches are dxf which i can understand a usage of cc11 then.

Now what i'm curious about is, if there is any difference?

What is the difference between using a dxf patch and using cc11? I'm confused because they seem to be the same function.

Ok, so there are dynamic crossfade patches (DXF), and there's midi cc 11 (expression).

Not all of the patches are dxf which i can understand a usage of cc11 then.

Now what i'm curious about is, if there is any difference?

What is the difference between using a dxf patch and using cc11? I'm confused because they seem to be the same function.

CC11 is fine volume control on a given instrument patch. It's good for automating volume control on any instrument patch, regardless if it's dxf or not.

DXF instruments, however, have the ability to not only adjust volume with cc controls, but also switch patches. CC1 controls the mod wheel on these, which will both change volume and crossfade between different timbre's for a more realistic sound.

So, CC1 for DXF instruments and CC11 for others.

Here's the difference, also explained fairly clearly in the manual:

In EWQLSO, CC1 or "the mod wheel" is for activating crossfades between sampled dynamic levels. So they maybe sampled 3 dynamic levels in a patch, piano, mezzo forte, and forte. CC1 is used to fade between these samples during the actual note sustain. Giving you the power to create your own "expressions."

CC7 is the master channel volume control. This parameter sets the actual total volume control for that particular MIDI channel in Kompakt, Kontakt, or PLAY.

CC11 controls the volume WITHIN the range of the CC7 setting. So if you put CC11 at 75% and CC7 is at 50% then the actual volume is 32.5%.

CC11 can be used on both DXF instruments and non DXF instruments. Think of it as a fader that controls the volume of the patch within the confines of your already set channel volume. OR, think of it as a manual enveloping control to fine tune the enveloping of a particular phrase.

If Piano isn't quiet enough, use CC11. If the whole channel needs to be turned down, use CC7.