CPU Load : Mixing Balance

Every single time while working in the Mixer, I always run into a point where if I play my song, it'll clip like hell.

My CPU isn't bad, AMD 6000+ 3.0GHz. It's not the new silly quad-core quality, but it destroys every video game around. lolol

I can't get the basic eq, compression and reverb onto all of the instruments before it starts sounding like trash.

I do send some channels to the same effect channel to try to save on how many plugins I load. It's not very many, of course, only like.. reverb and a bit of compression.

I could imagine you guys would have loads of more plugins used, too. How do you manage? I've been exporting, which means I go eat for an hour, come back, listen, make a small edit, export, eat for an hour, asdfasdf

personally I use AISO4ALL.

if/when it starts clipping/running slow, I turn the buffer size up.

that and you could go to tools > macro > switch smart disable for all plugins to really help with the cpu overkill.

finally worse case scenario is you solo/render some instruments and reload them as samples, and then just remove the instruments/plugins.

Smart Disable is a big help, but ASIO will also help a lot. I'm not familiar with the AMD line.. is that single core?

it's one of the first AMD dual-core cpus, codenamed windsor. it's not great, but it can handle itself. roughly equivalent to a c2d e4500 (2.2ghz, 800mhz fsb) after comparing architecture, design, and fsb equivalencies. doesn't have a comparison in the newer lines of stuff, as the newer wolfdale architectures blow it out of the water.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, FL is acting up on me.

The CPU keeps overloading for no reason.

I started a new project and inserted a channel for Kore Player, but when I tried to write something, the CPU meter gradually went up to 99 and now it just "safely overloads" doesn't crash but it doesn't play anything.

What the heck?

I'm using ASIO4ALL I disabled Multithreaded Generator Processing I tried disabling and reenabling ASIO driver I tried playing with the buffer whatevers but it still doesn't help.

I haven't had this problem before and now it's such a nuisance I don't think I'll be able to remix with this current state.

Hey guys, FL is acting up on me.

The CPU keeps overloading for no reason.

I started a new project and inserted a channel for Kore Player, but when I tried to write something, the CPU meter gradually went up to 99 and now it just "safely overloads" doesn't crash but it doesn't play anything.

What the heck?

I'm using ASIO4ALL I disabled Multithreaded Generator Processing I tried disabling and reenabling ASIO driver I tried playing with the buffer whatevers but it still doesn't help.

I haven't had this problem before and now it's such a nuisance I don't think I'll be able to remix with this current state.

I agree with proph that the Image Line forums would be better for this question. Personally, the only time I've had this happen was when I accidentally had MIDI outputs on (under Options > MIDI settings) before turning on ASIO. It then would hit 99% CPU and never drop from there until I turned off all the MIDI output ports.

• 2 weeks later...

didn't we already work this out over pm, and i apologize for accusing you without figuring out the complete story? darke gave you his license key. assuming that he either bought an FL multi-license key or FL allows for multiple installations at one time, you're in the clear. if both you and him are installed at the same time, you're not. simple as pie.

• 1 month later...
didn't we already work this out over pm, and i apologize for accusing you without figuring out the complete story? darke gave you his license key. assuming that he either bought an FL multi-license key or FL allows for multiple installations at one time, you're in the clear. if both you and him are installed at the same time, you're not. simple as pie.

That forum post was before my PM.

XDDDDDD

yeah, it's your processor. those processors are like five or six years old now. if you want recommendations on a new, cheap, system, send me a pm.

realistically, anything that's a core 2, at least 2.5ghz, and at least a dual core is more than enough to kill those programs. if you use moore's law, you'd be able to calculate the exact difference between a celeron m to a core 2 duo - say, a modern chip like the 8400 or the 7400 - at around nine to fourteen times the processing power. remember that a quad isn't necessarily a four times increase in system speed, rather it's a four times increase in raw computing power to a system that multithreads properly (fl studio multithreads relatively well, but kore does not).