Castlevania - Vampire Killer remix

JILost

Hi. This is my first time posting here, though I've been sequencing and arranging for years.

There have been 39,580,298 arrangements of "Vampire Killer" to date, but I thought I'd try to tackle it, too. I've made every effort to make this arrangement sound as full and "professional" as possible while still sounding like it came out of an SC-8850 (Hence, it "sounds like MIDI". Yes, it's on purpose.). I've also made every effort to make the style as distinctive as possible so it's not just another retread; I wanted to do something different with it.

I'm very aware that the mixing and mastering aren't great at the moment and there are still things I need to adjust with the arrangement itself (like the key change near the end); this is just a rough "proof of concept" sketch of what's been in my head for weeks. I'm mostly posting here to get feedback on just how distinctive I've made it, how well someone other than me thinks it works in the style I've chosen, whether it sounds "too much like the original" minus the last 20 seconds or so (which sound that way intentionally), and that sort of thing.

Vampire Killer MP3

It's not the built-in midi default sounds, so I don't think it sounds like midi. Obviously sequenced and presumably in midi, but it sounds more professional than a midi file played from the computer's midi instruments.

Heard a couple of weird noises there tho, often just in one ear at a time. Other than that the sound is fine, imo. It's also distinctive enough, doesn't sound like a retread at all. To me anyway. Only familiar with the source via remixes so can't say if it sounds like a midi rip or not. :P

But if you hear the arrangement is interpretive enough to pass the panel on ocr, you should sub it. Cool concept, good execution, good sound... nice work. :D

Let me first note that I like it personally. However, I don't think it would get posted at this point.

The fact that it's entirely midi isn't really a bar to a mix getting posted here. Since it's midi, you have a good deal of leeway with instruments and sequencing. I would recommend making two volume changes: first, lower the volume of the bass a bit. It tends to be a little overbearing and ends up muffling the rest of the instruments. Second, increase the volume of the guitar. I'd recommend making that part stand out a little more.

There is one other problem that I want to point out, and that's an arrangement issue. The song appears to have 4 sections:

(1) Intro

(2) Main Vampire Killer theme

(3) Miscellaneous Castlevania 3 pieces, plus some good variation of the main theme

(4) Ending/Fadeout

I'm not a musician, so I can't really give you technical advice, but I think it would be advantageous to mix sections (2) and (3) above into one. Again, I'm not sure how you would do it, so experiment a little (or maybe someone else has some ideas). The other issue is really with the main theme: it sounds like something you'd expect to hear while actually playing a Castlevania game. No, that's not necessarily a bad thing, but as a ReMix, it tends to adhere to the source too much.

My last criticism is with the ending, and I say this completely recognizing that this is your first posted version of the mix. The fadeout ending works in certain cases, but it doesn't work here. The place in the song that it fades out at is completely reminiscent of something you'd hear on an official OST release for a Castlevania game. I would recommend coming up with a stronger ending rather than a fadeout.

I've been mostly critical, so let me end on a positive note. The sequencing itself is fantastic, and you clearly have a great deal of talent and ability in that area. Konami should hire you for their upcoming Castlevania WiiWare release. I'm confident that if you keep working on this, you can take it from where it is now (OST quality) to OC ReMix quality pretty quickly. Keep at it!

Hey, thanks for all the constructive feedback. I was expecting something a lot more critical ("It doesn't sound realistic enough", "The arrangement is too simple and repetitive", etc....I guess I've gotten too used to certain other snobby remix groups) and am incredibly flattered that you say my sequencing shows so much talent.

XZero: Yes, a fade is unfitting for this arrangement, especially where the fade is currently placed. The remix is currently only 50% length; I faded just for the sake of avoiding the MP3 suddenly dropping off. The current structure is:

(1) Intro

(2) remixed Vampire Killer

(3) remixed Stalker (CV1 stage 2, also appears in certain VK arrangements as a "bridge" of sorts)

(4) ending of VK from Rondo of Blood/Dracula X Chronicles

(5) slightly different remix of VK, ended abruptly by fade

What I plan to do is have (5) be a bit like (2) but arranged a little more like the source, then have Wicked Child instead of Stalker, then go back into the Rondo stuff but different, then end/loop back to the beginning. Might throw in a solo or something rather than do the Rondo stuff again, or have a solo and then the Rondo stuff again. Haven't gotten there yet.

The bass stands out so much so its melody can be heard distinctly, but I do agree that perhaps some low end could be dropped off the EQ, or maybe some of the reverb could be taken off the bass's MIDI channel. The opposite problem is true with the guitar -- it isn't distinct -enough-. Both can be fixed easily enough.

Rozovian: It is certainly no MSGS, that's for sure. The SC-8850 (one of the Roland Sound Canvas series of synths) is a "classic" pro MIDI synth though, so some may recognize its sound (many Konami MIDI albums use it, for example, as well as Thunder Force V and probably lots of other games) and still think it sounds cheap. I'm glad to see I'm wrong in assuming that. :D

I do agree that, despite my style being very different from the game's, the "feel" of the arrangement still bears a lot of resemblance to that of the source, and I think that's the little creative boost I feel it's missing. The unfortunate part is I really like the arrangement and don't want to change it too much now, haha. Oh well, I'll figure something out, I guess.

Hey, thanks for all the constructive feedback. I was expecting something a lot more critical ("It doesn't sound realistic enough", "The arrangement is too simple and repetitive", etc....I guess I've gotten too used to certain other snobby remix groups) and am incredibly flattered that you say my sequencing shows so much talent.

XZero: Yes, a fade is unfitting for this arrangement, especially where the fade is currently placed. The remix is currently only 50% length; I faded just for the sake of avoiding the MP3 suddenly dropping off. The current structure is:

(1) Intro

(2) remixed Vampire Killer

(3) remixed Stalker (CV1 stage 2, also appears in certain VK arrangements as a "bridge" of sorts)

(4) ending of VK from Rondo of Blood/Dracula X Chronicles

(5) slightly different remix of VK, ended abruptly by fade

What I plan to do is have (5) be a bit like (2) but arranged a little more like the source, then have Wicked Child instead of Stalker, then go back into the Rondo stuff but different, then end/loop back to the beginning. Might throw in a solo or something rather than do the Rondo stuff again, or have a solo and then the Rondo stuff again. Haven't gotten there yet.

The bass stands out so much so its melody can be heard distinctly, but I do agree that perhaps some low end could be dropped off the EQ, or maybe some of the reverb could be taken off the bass's MIDI channel. The opposite problem is true with the guitar -- it isn't distinct -enough-. Both can be fixed easily enough.

Rozovian: It is certainly no MSGS, that's for sure. The SC-8850 (one of the Roland Sound Canvas series of synths) is a "classic" pro MIDI synth though, so some may recognize its sound (many Konami MIDI albums use it, for example, as well as Thunder Force V and probably lots of other games) and still think it sounds cheap. I'm glad to see I'm wrong in assuming that. :D

I do agree that, despite my style being very different from the game's, the "feel" of the arrangement still bears a lot of resemblance to that of the source, and I think that's the little creative boost I feel it's missing. The unfortunate part is I really like the arrangement and don't want to change it too much now, haha. Oh well, I'll figure something out, I guess.

I'd really like to hear that structure. I think a lot of the problem with the posted version is that the main theme is literally half of the song, so it stands out as lacking an arrangement. However, if you add those sections in, I think the effect of the main theme would be counterbalanced (and properly so) by the arrangements. Actually, knowing that what I listened to is only about 50% of the song makes a lot of sense. I'm really excited to see (hear?) where you go with this!