Doom II remix WIP in need of opinons.

GarretGraves

it's WIP but I think I'm onto something here. It's not finished lengthwise and I have a feeling it could use more color of sorts. It's metal, by the way. Here it is:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=9CN740V9

Using Superior Drummer 2.0 and GPO in FL 8 and recording audio in Adobe Audition. I only do this cause i dont know how to record audio in FL. Or if it's even possible. Probably is. I'm just lazy.

I put a compressor on nearly everything on the drums except the cymbals. The kicks are what I'm REALLY proud of so far. I've never mixed kicks so well before. Multiband Comp on the master track in Audition. Some reverb using Garritan Ambience.

The solo at the end is obviously not final. I just did a take or two and left it for now.

Here's where I get seriously picky. I've always had this pet peeve of other rock tracks on ocremix overpowering the rock elements with electronics and such. Or using them at all. I have a string section in the beginning but that's about it. I refrain from using any electronic sounds or techno sounds or whatever not just because i dont have them but because it seems trendy. I know it's a bit narcississtic (sp? lol) of me to state such a thing. But now I'm actually considering using such tactics. It needs color. Period.

Thoughts?

EDIT:

I'm an idiot. Here's the source.

Wrong forum, but not off by too much.

Ehhh... not digging it at first... You definitely improved on the source material (which I'm listening to and really isn't great to begin with). That orchestral stuff has a hint of something in it, but so overly fake and not very well produced that its hard to endear to it. Those snare drums stick out much more than they should. Too loud, too much snap and they overpower the strings.

Then the guitar segues in... not very well. It is also too loud and sticks out too much for what you're going for there. I like the guitar itself, but once that lick opens the new section, one expects the whole soundscape to explode at 0:45 and it doesn't. I visualize music and once it comes in, I see a lot of empty space with a big, thick log where the guitar and bass and kick all are.

Lots of nondescript thrash from there. Melody at 1:10 doesn't do much. You could definitely do so much more here.

2:19, however, is a different story. Now we're fucking talking. This is the shit you need coming much, much earlier in on top of your thrashing to keep people interested.

I don't think the length is too much of an issue if you can move the stuff you do later earlier. You clearly have some melodic guitar skill and improvisation skill - you better make some damn good use of it from 0:51 on. Don't get lazy, get creative. Don't waste those strings either. They can sound pretty good in a thrash song.

Its got some potential, but it needs some major mixing overhaul and some damn creative guitar work to make it really work. I'm not convinced you can't handle it with some good old fashioned elbow grease, so get to it and you will have something to be proud of.

Should I take the strings out in the beginning entirely? Im new to GPO so I dont know how to make them sound more realistic. im told the key is reverb. The snares in the begininng are coming from Superior Drummer and not GPO so that's probably why the snare stands out a ton.

I guess I could move the section at 2:19 at an earlier time. My goal was to build up to that part. Stay subtle at the beginning only hinting the source material the show more of it as it goes on then finally a big finish. But if it aint workin it aint workin.

I'll give it a go. Thanks!

EDIT: Oh and sorry for posting in the wrong forum. I was thread hopping and forgot where i was. Move me, please!

Well said. Well, what do you use for strings, Meteo? I'm using Garritan Personal Orchestra which I keep hearing is pretty awesome to have at an affordable price. When I the stock reverb in FL i get better results with it than this Garritan Reverb plugin. I'm still learning how to mix these instruments but im optomistic about the results.Well, until your last post that is. haha