*NO* Future Tactics: The Uprising 'Future Tactics Remake'

Palpable

My remixer name is OctoEntandreThis is an arrangment of the main theme from future tactics: the uprising

origonally composed by tim follin

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Would have DPed this except that I've never heard of OctoEntandre before, so I figured I'd throw one to the panel. He's got some good stuff on newgrounds though.

This must have been one of the last soundtracks Tim Follin made before retiring - fantastic source. I checked out some of the rest of the soundtrack too and I love the style of it. (Maybe I'll have something to give Larry for Dirge for the Follin.) This remix definitely does justice to the source, adapting it for orchestra, with some unexpected rock elements thrown in, but sticking to the catchy motifs of the original. Production is very good for a remix that tries to encompass so much. Maybe a few things where I would have mixed instruments differently, but just minor things, it's very solidly above the bar. This is awesome, and I hope you send us more stuff, Octo!

YES

I love the Future Tactics soundtrack SO MUCH. The entire soundtrack is just fantastic.

Anyway, good adaption for a semi-orchestral setting. Samples were good and used well for the most part. The arrangement really made sure to keep the hooks intact but on the other hand there's not much altering going on here. Even the "rock" part is just the second part of common battle, a source that might not have been mentioned. The only real changes are some variations in harmony now and then and some minor stuff with the bells.

Production was overall good but the hi-hat and guitar both sounded a bit flimsy. Guitar especially sounded very digital when it first entered and muffled when it became part of the backing. The mix felt a bit empty at time when all the instruments had short attacks, playing the same motif. Nothing really brings the mix down though, even though it could be improved slightly.

To be fair, this arrangement leaves a lot to be desired. If this was a remix of a Final Fantasy theme you knew by heart you'd most certainly react on it not being interpretive enough. It's definitely a great start but you have to be more interpretive with the source. Make the melody go places, add an original section, add some more variation to the harmony and the way the melody is played. This is really close but I can't comfortably pass it just yet.

NO(resubmit)

Hmm, disappointing to see that the rock section is pretty much straight Enemy Attack. Actually, the style of that song is closer to Octo's which made me reconsider my vote. This was already on the conservative side, and that pushes this more in that direction.

However, even with the hooks intact, I feel like this is interpretive enough. In the intro and outro, you've got new string writing going on under the melody. In the verse, there's new low brass parts. In the chorus, the chords are changed, the low brass parts are again new, and the melody is changed at the end. In the 2:04 section, the chords change again. Also, unless I missed something (which I may well have), the 1:25-1:43 and 3:27-3:33 sections are new. I still feel this is on the acceptable side of conservative. Sticking with YES.

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely conservative, but I feel there is enough differentiation to make this stand on it's own. There was some expansive part writing, and some excellent builds added (the one in the intro is stellar). Transition between sections were good, and the chord changes give it a lot less repetitive feel. Great additions.

Production was fine, though I think the highs were scooped a bit much out of the guitar. Might be my rockbias- and with all the other instruments, something has to give I suppose.

This is above the bar, IMO. Can we get a better remix name though, in the event of this passing?

yes

Really cool source tunes; I've never heard of the game or its soundtrack prior to this. As for the remix, interesting mesh of styles and sounds. I really wouldn't expect drum machine percussion plus orchestral brass, bongos and an acoustic drumkit. That's the kind of stuff I like to do myself so I appreciate the risk-taking and "everything but the kitchen sink approach." However, I think the drum machine really doesn't fit in. It just sounds cheesy and weak - replacing it with some tighter samples would be a better idea (ie. the kick is barely audible, the snare is flimsy.)

When the rock section picks up, the production takes a turn for the worse. The guitar is definitely weak as Anso pointed out, and the section sounds sparse initially. The acoustic drums throughout could also use work, but particularly in the second section where they are more prominent. This is rock, make 'em more aggressive! The discrepancy between the really wet orchestral sounds and everything else also threw me off.

I don't know the soundtrack really well but overall I thought the arrangement was at least solid. However, it sticks too close to the original melodically in many instances. I would have really liked to hear some melodic variations or even solos built on the melody. Additionally, changing up the tempo and feel of the originals would be a good idea, as right now you basically have the same tempo, time signature and even key.

Definitely a solid effort but not above the bar IMO.

NO

Pretty conservative, but the additional writing, original sections, and chord changes definitely help. The guitar has almost no presence, especially once it switches to rhythm, and the non-bongo percussion is also pretty weak.

This is pretty close, but the combination of factors puts this under the bar. I don't think it would take a whole lot on the arrangement or production to bring it over. A great first sub, for sure, and I always appreciate the Follin love.

NO (resubmit)

Well orchestrated. great samples and stuff, I like the brass. I'm with the other guys though in saying that the cover is a bit too straight up. In fact, there are some elements in the originals that I'm missing...more improvised sounding elements..a more diverse sound palate. I'd say this is good work and relatively close, but I'd like to hear more reinterpretation than reinstrumentation.

NO

• 2 weeks later...
Really cool source tunes; I've never heard of the game or its soundtrack prior to this. As for the remix, interesting mesh of styles and sounds. I really wouldn't expect drum machine percussion plus orchestral brass, bongos and an acoustic drumkit. That's the kind of stuff I like to do myself so I appreciate the risk-taking and "everything but the kitchen sink approach." However, I think the drum machine really doesn't fit in. It just sounds cheesy and weak - replacing it with some tighter samples would be a better idea (ie. the kick is barely audible, the snare is flimsy.)

When the rock section picks up, the production takes a turn for the worse. The guitar is definitely weak as Anso pointed out, and the section sounds sparse initially. The acoustic drums throughout could also use work, but particularly in the second section where they are more prominent. This is rock, make 'em more aggressive! The discrepancy between the really wet orchestral sounds and everything else also threw me off.

I don't know the soundtrack really well but overall I thought the arrangement was at least solid. However, it sticks too close to the original melodically in many instances. I would have really liked to hear some melodic variations or even solos built on the melody. Additionally, changing up the tempo and feel of the originals would be a good idea, as right now you basically have the same tempo, time signature and even key.

Definitely a solid effort but not above the bar IMO.

NO

Andy's probably the closest to my own vote. I really really dig the approach, and the sheer uniqueness of this approach! Honestly, I don't think this is too far off from being accepted. May not be above the bar, but it's certainly within arms reach! Beef up the drums/perc and certainly the rock guitar section and that's probably all I'd need--I really didn't mind the conservative arrangement all that much. The brass writing is creative and quirky and very well done, I really like it, and also the other orchestral elements.

RESUBMIT or I will find you and do terrible things to your lawn. (Feel free to PM me/one of the other judges, and we'll fast-track this back to the panel for a quick re-vote.)

*edit*

Also, I apologize for taking so long to vote on this. I thought I'd voted on all of June's submissions, and then the other day I noticed that this one some how fell under my radar. For shame, and my bad.