OCR02344 - *YES* Donkey Kong (GB) 'Duel of the Apes'

big giant circles

Breakdown:

All three tracks are boss themes, the final sequence of this game is like a bunch of boss battles (sort of) with tracks 28 and 29 being the Final battle, parts 1 and 2.

0:00 - 0:16 (referencing track 29)

0:16 - 0:40 (track 28 intro and the arpgeggio from 24 overtop)

0:40 - 2:00 (melody is pretty much verbatim 28 with a few flourishes for color)

2:00 - 2:16 (strings are adapted melody reprise from 28 )

2:16 - 2:48 (track 24 arp)

2:48 - 3:20 (synth solo overtop source chord progression. mostly original but makes tentative reference to the main melody of 28 )

3:20 - 3:36 (back to verbatim source 28 )

3:36 - 3:52 (modified melody from 28 )

3:52 - end (all 3 sources being referenced here).

This is for Joker's Boss Themes Project FYI.

Notable notations that are noteworthy:

Symphonic choirs, look at me go :) I just programmed 'em to say gibberish, I don't remember exactly, mainly just stuff like "Mee NO Da LO Oompa Loompa La La" for all it's worth. Long as it sounds epic-ish. Also, this track was made for a guitar lead.

Um, enjoy?

• 4 weeks later...

bass is a little dry, and i really wish you'd have used a live guitar player (if only there was a real guitar player you could ask somewhere in the world ;_;), but this was rocking on a lot of levels. Great transitions, and some nice sections and some good surprises- choir sounded very nice.

Good work tying the 3 sources together, seemed very seamless.

I dig it. It has a great groove that really gives it forward momentum. It's a very motivated sound.

yes

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Like 'duel of the fates,' rite? I LoL!!~ed

Oh finally. This is the first submission I've listened to today that I really like. Nice guitar. If I were going to complain, and I will, I'd say that the groove gets a bit tiresome, and I'd like to hear some more dynamic changes to the groove.

Solid on the whole.

YES