*NO* Sonic the Hedgehog 2 'Electro Chemical Plant'

Palpable

Stargazer

Tom Witherspoon

http://soundcloud.com/stargazer

Sonic The Hedgehog 2

Chemical Plant Zone

I adore the original score for this level, Ive been into production for about a year now and I couldnt resist remixing this. I hope you like it.

Cheers

SG

---------------------------------------------------------------

http://project2612.org/download.php?id=37 - "05 - Chemical Plant Zone"

Tough decision. I thought the arrangement was catchy, and even if it used almost all parts from the source, it rearranges them in a way that is just different enough from the original. Good automation on the leads to keep it interesting.

On the down side. The arrangement is repetitive, and those drums certainly could have been changed up sometime. I wished there had been some original section or soloing to balance out the constant source usage. The sustained bass was loud and the backing writing was sometimes difficult to hear.

Unfortunately, I'm leaning NO, mostly for the arrangement issues. After the first half of this, I felt like I wasn't hearing anything new. Seems like a good resubmit candidate, or maybe other judges feel better about this one than I do. Good luck!

NO (resubmit)

Production was decent, though i think too many elements were too strongly reverbed/delayed, as things got a little smeared in some of the busier sections. Having 1 or 2 elements a bit drier would help things stay a little more grounded, I think. Excellent bass however. Mad groovin'.

I wasn't as bothered by the repetative beat as vinnie, though it'd have made it an easier call if things were mixed up a bit more. There was enough synth craziness going on in the track elsewhere that it seemed alright to me that the drums were generally just a timekeeper. I think some more dramatic rolls in the transitions would have improved things a lot, however, to make the track more exciting.

The second half felt a bit like a retread, though there was some subtle variation, and really, since the song came right out at full-on power, there wasn't much room to grow. The slow fade into the bass and drums for the ending was pretty cool, and would work well for a club mix of the track.

Overall these are some issues, but i think the cool personalization and cheeky use of sonic SFX and creative synth wrangling taps this one over the bar.

yes

Wow this is loud as shit.

Okay, obviously it's a bit repetitive. I don't think it's quite repetitive enough to ruin it. It's a dance track. I got to tell you: I'm dancing. The production is great, I don't really hear any mud or smearing as a result of oververb.

It's not the most risky arrangement, but there's plenty of solid material in the instrumentation, the parts, and the little production details.

YES

• 2 weeks later...

There's some personalization here, but I think this sticks too closely to the original, in not just melody, but also the accompaniment. The main bassline is simplified from the source, and most of the synth riffs accompanying the melody are straight from the source as well. There's a little playing with the melody and some original accompaniment in there, but ultimately this just feels like a dance adaptation without a whole lot of interpretation of the source.

Production is pretty spot on, though. Nice work with the synths. Never thought anything got too mushy, except maybe a little in the tail end of the big buildup from around 1:15 to 1:26. The arrangement is definitely my main issue.

NO

I didn't think this one was excessively loud. Beatdrop and bLiNd have both had louder tracks. I love the production here and the small touches to vary the original, but as some of the other judges have said, there's just not quite enough here. Again, great production and the arrangement is close, but more personalization would put it over the bar (some original melodies, maybe new chords, less repetition, etc.)

NO, resub

Tough decision. I thought the arrangement was catchy, and even if it used almost all parts from the source, it rearranges them in a way that is just different enough from the original. Good automation on the leads to keep it interesting.

On the down side. The arrangement is repetitive, and those drums certainly could have been changed up sometime. I wished there had been some original section or soloing to balance out the constant source usage. The sustained bass was loud and the backing writing was sometimes difficult to hear.

Unfortunately, I'm leaning NO, mostly for the arrangement issues. After the first half of this, I felt like I wasn't hearing anything new. Seems like a good resubmit candidate, or maybe other judges feel better about this one than I do. Good luck!

NO (resubmit)

These are essentially my thoughts.

RESUB

These are essentially my thoughts.

RESUB

The thoughts he quoted are essentially my thoughts. I don't know, it's hard to come up with a more spot on version of my thoughts than Palpable's vote. The arrangement IS repetitive, and those drums certainly COULD have been changed up sometime. I wished there had been SOME original section or soloing to balance out the constant source usage. The sustained bass WAS loud and the backing writing was sometimes difficult to hear.

Sorry man, you've obviously got the skills to pay the bills so I suggest maybe you could work a bit on a resubmission to iron out the problem areas. I certainly think you've got it in you, keep it up!

NO(resubmit)