*NO* Super Metroid 'Coolin' Down the Red Soil Swamp'

Palpable

I'd like to submit a song, please. Thank you for your time!

Submission Information

Motol DM

Super Metroid

Brinstar Red Soil Swampy Area

-----------------------------------------------------------------

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=sm - 20 "Brinstar Red Soil Swampy Area"

This song is getting to Ice Cap levels of coverage. This arrangement had some stuff going for it, namely a nice ambient mood that transitions into a stiffer beat halfway through. The leads aren't that strong or cutting, they play rigidly, and the delay on them sometimes conflicts with the lead. That ends up really hurting this. I also think this gets a little sluggish and could have more driving it while not overwhelming it. Just something to really fill it out. Nice work so far, but I don't think it's quite there.

NO (resubmit)

[23:51] * Liontamer is listening to Super Metroid 'Coolin' Down the Red Soil Swamp' (06:06)

[23:52] <Liontamer> seems like some noticeable distortion in the opening

[23:53] <Liontamer> interesting; has some Amiga-style textures in there

[23:53] <Liontamer> seems like noticeable distortion everywhere

[23:53] <Liontamer> HAHAHA clap grooooooooooove

[23:54] <Liontamer> no reason for that around 1:30, that's just too beginner-ish

[23:54] <Liontamer> but once more stuff joined in to layer with it, it was aight

[23:54] <Liontamer> nothing solid, but not so exposed

[23:55] <Liontamer> I actually did like the energy of the leads, but the treatment of the source theme should have been developed more, and the backing instrumentation didn't get the job done at fleshing out the rest of the soundfield.

[23:56] <Liontamer> Boring percussion patterns with plainly exposed samples

[23:58] <Liontamer> Too bad; again, I liked the leads, I liked the Amiga style stuff, and the tempo was pretty chill, but the groove and overall textures were weak, and the interpretation of the source melody needed to be futher developed to keep things fresh.

Not bad for a first sub, bro. You're going in the right direction as far as interpretation, but need some work at really developing a fully fleshed out piece. Upping your production skills is also needed, but focus on arrangement first.

NO

[00:24] BigGiantNotPoop: this red soil sub

[00:24] BigGiantNotPoop: that's the FL "DrillDnB" drumloop

[00:24] BigGiantNotPoop: it's originally like 170BPM

[00:24] Liontamer: awesome; call him out on it

[00:24] BigGiantNotPoop: and he's slowed it down to like 90 BPM

[00:24] BigGiantNotPoop: I don't mind people using default loops

[00:25] BigGiantNotPoop: if they slice them nicely

[00:25] BigGiantNotPoop: and don't make 'em so obvious

Anyway, yeah, slowing down a loop that drastically is pretty noticeable, and produced all those tinny-sounding artifacts. It's a rare thing that I hear a loop stretch well-beyond it's practical range that it actually sounds good. I recommend putting your own loops together in the future and using some creative processing FX to get 'em to sound less artifact-y.

Beyond that, Larry pretty much covered everything else I'd have to offer. Not a bad start, keep at it!

NO