*NO* Space Channel 5 'Frequent Flyer'

djpretzel

Frequent Flyer - Remix of "Mexican Flyer", an instrumental piece written by Ken Woodman and his Piccadilly Brass in the 60's, and later used in the musical-game, Space Channel Five [©Sega].

There's a lot I want to say about this one, so get comfy and I'll try not to bore you ;)

This is my tenth or eleventh remix of the Mexican Flyer theme (though I chose not to submit any of the others at all), and probably the most "mature" mix I've ever made. That's really the first reason for the name, too - I remix the theme a lot, so "Frequent Flyer" seems to fit. Of course, there are other random reasons aswell -

- In the game, the main character gets everywhere by flying,

- The first levels in both Space Channel five and the sequal are on futuristic Passenger Cruise jets, and both of those levels soundtracks contain samples from the original Mexican Flyer - what I've remixed,

- In my opinion, and as some others have said, the music itself gives the feeling of drifting away,

- Almost every song on the SC5 soundtrack is it's own remix of Mexican Flyer, so the theme frequently pops up in different forms throughout the game,

- And a whole bunch of other things that really depend on your own imagination ^^;

When I first started mixing this theme again, I really had no idea what angle I wanted to take on it - or what genre - but I soon drifted into something cool, something unique that I guess is best described as "breakbeat Jazz". If the judges like originality, I'm certain they'll love this mix, and not only because of the unique genre, but also the composition.

Rather than just taking the original theme and doing a straight cover of it - where the only changes are a few mixed around soundfonts (like a shiteload of other remixes lately) - I decided to completely re-build the whole song from scratch, throwing in as much improvisation as I possibly could. The end product isn't really a straight "remix" of Mexican Flyer, but really an idea of what the level music *could* be for one of the games stages (seeing as each stage is a different take on the theme). That said, yes - it sounds like mexican flyer, but it sounds very different at the same time - something I'm definitely proud of.

I'm very hopeful this mix will make it onto the site (it could even be my first, if my other submission gets rejected), but I do realise that there are some problems with it too, little things that the judges might pick out - For starters, drums are *not* my strong point. I also realise that the quality sounds a little sub-par for some of the instruments (my equipment's certainly not the best), but people seem to agree it's still an enjoyable mix regardless of its flaws, and I hope the Judges agree - if not, well atleast I'll get some decent feedback.

Cheers guys,

Hadyn

• 2 weeks later...

This sounds really good, but with a big exception. I know you said that drums are not your strong point, but the drumloop really does seriously detract from the orginality of the rest of the mix. I think with the pace this mix could be a little bit longer as well. I would ask that you resubmit with an original drum beat, because this could be a great mix imo.

NO