*NO* Super Mario RPG 'Beware the Forest's Metal Shrooms'

Liontamer

Hi, my name is Chris Holland. I'm a huge fan of ocremix and this is my first submission.

Basically I'm a guitarist who also dabbles on bass, drums, and the occasional keyboard. My video game remix project is called "Nanaki's View"

This submission is my rendition of a tune called "Beware The Forest's Mushrooms" - from Super Mario RPG (SNES). I hope you enjoy it! Thanks!

- Chris

--------------

http://ocremix.org/chip/6318 - "Beware the Forest's Mushrooms" (smr-128.spc)

A heartbreaker, but not a difficult call. At 2:14-long, and fairly repetitive, the arrangement simply wasn't developed enough. The drum writing was pretty basic and plodding, and aside from the steel-strung guitar cameos (which sounded beautiful, mind you), the interpretation was also too by-the-numbers and straightforward. After 1:24, there was nothing new. Production-wise, everything sounded too far away in the soundfield.

I've heard of you before, Chris, and you've clearly got potential. You just need to develop the arrangement further and keep things engaging & fresh throughout. Introduce more ideas that further personalize the arrangement and make it unique. Keep at it, and take it to the next level.

NO (resubmit)

Hey cool, this song lends itself pretty well to rock. I'm not sure I've heard a guitar/bass/drum version of this source tune, surprisingly :)

Pretty great performance, and great textures! I love the switch up between the rock and the acoustic stuff. It's like "Hey, I'm at a Green Day concert! Oh wait, no I'm not, I'm on a boat in Venice watching Lady & the Tramp stroll by... Oh, cool, I'm back at the concert!" :)

This mix has a lot of good stuff going on. Unfortunately, the things that are going to prohibit this one from getting accepted in it's current form are as follows:

-The melody is literally verbatim the whole time. There's really no chance for it to build up, evolve, progress, or anything like that. The instrumentation does switch up here and there, and that's definitely a plus, however the lack of additional melodic writing and verbatim chord progressions (more or less) keep this one a little too close to what we consider a cover. There's also no intro or outro. It just jumps right into it without so much of a fill and then all we get is a fade-out.

So anyway, yeah man, this is a great little track, and I hope to death that you decide to rework it and resubmit it! Throw down some soloing on that catchy little melody! Add an intro! Throw in a couple drum solos! Stuff like that. Blend some of your own melodic ideas into the mix on top of the new energy and textures that you've given it here, and it'll be golden front-page material, bro!

RESUBMIT!!!!