*NO* Donkey Kong Country 2 'Klubbing in the Mine'

Liontamer

Hey, J's!

Rom Tom here (and in real life, known as Thomas Zanay.) ...with a remix I doth have been working on for a while now. 'Tis a ReMix of Kannon's Klaim I kall "Klubbing in the Mine." But if you guys have a better idea for a title, please, do share. Anyways, as you will hear, it is of the Trance genre. The game it pertains to is the well known Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest.

What a great game.. I just Kouldn't resist remixing one of my 'more' favorite themes from the game, especially right after beating it in one sitting on a SNES about a month and a half back. Here is the end result of many hours of work put into 4 and a half minutes. This is my first official submission to OCRemix, and, all in all, I hope you guys enjoy!

I've been following OCRemix since around 2002 when I was a mere lad of 10 years old, but decided to enter existence on the site back in '07 when I got my hands on FL Studio.

And that's a basic background story about me.

Quick Rundown:

ReMixer: Rom Tom

ReMix Title: Klubbing in the Mine

Game: Donky Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest

Song: Kannon's Klaim (A.K.A. Mine)

Composer: Dave Wise

Take Kare,

Rom Tom Thomas ''and the Dancing Hoohas''

---------------------------------------------------------

Donkey Kong Country 2 - "Kannon's Klaim"

Seems like the track clipped a lot just looking at Winamp's levels; even if not, the treble was blisteringly loud and forced me to turn down the volume.

The melodic interpretation could have been more creative for the first 90 seconds, but the overall mood was different and interpretive. The string sequencing through needed some work; lots of unnatural sounding bow movements that need to be fine-tuned.

The textures could have used a bit more meat on them. Particulatly when it turned toward to the electronic/clubby stuff at 2:42, the soundscape sounded too sparse.

The key change at 3:50 was a little tacky, but at least you had some new ideas at 4:06 to close things out for the finish and not make the key change sound like you'd run out of creative gas.

If you can improve the production and further flesh out the arrangement, this would have a shot. Certainly worth working on further if you have the interest. Otherwise, definitely not awful for a first sub, which put you ahead of about 75% of what we receive. Keep at it, T.J., and I hope we hear more from you!

NO (resubmit)

An awesome source, and a pretty reasonable way to arrange it, but Larry does bring up some good points.

Treble is definitely over hyped, with that gated synth specifically- either filter it or EQ it down. Claps are a little too piercing as well in the higher freqs, and the snare when it comes in too. The opening piano treatment was good, and the sound choices overall I was feeling.

It could use a little more variation and personalization in the melody, and what would really help accomplish that *and* make it sound better in later sections is to make some of the notes more legato. Some of the later repetitions of the melody with a synth doubling it an octave down so plinky, it's distracting in a not-so- complimentary way.

Also, the beat tends to get a little too boring, so perhaps mixing it up a bit and adding some fills would be an interesting avenue to explore. This would also help by making the textures more exciting and syncopated.

That's a lot of text above, but overall this is a really strong start, and with a little polish, this will be a killer track!

no, please resub

A lot has been said so I'll just emphasize the most important parts. Arrangement could take some more liberties with arranging the melody, it also felt repetitive. Production is the big downer for me. The first kick sounds like it's clipping rather hard, the soundfield isn't balanced (lots of highs, no meat) and the instrument choices were a bit lacklustre. Many sounds seemed to be strangely in the back, drowned in reverb or just thin in general. The strings need some work and the "flute" lead was very bland.

Still, this does show promise. Like Larry said you're ahead of 75% of first time submitters. If you're willing to take your time and effort to polish this up, do so. Keep it up!

NO